Automated Backup
1748067 Members
5368 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Data Protector Express Disaster Recovery 3.50-SP2 Stuck?

randolphea
Occasional Visitor

Data Protector Express Disaster Recovery 3.50-SP2 Stuck?

Hello, 

I am doing a test disaster recovery on one of our servers using DPE 3.50 SP2. 

I created a Bootable disk in Data Protector and burned it to a DVD. 

I booted the "new" server off of the recovery disk.  

It copied the data, but then it seems to get stuck.

Here's what I get:

Recovering Boot Partition

Action: Extracting Files from Package

Copy Status:  Decompressing

Copy From: temp/drboot.pak (100%)

Copy To:  Z:\recover.tmp\...\resource\dpguidrm.msg

Host Name : Crusader

Boot Drive Size:  20002 MB

The original device was a DL380 G3.  I am recovering to the same.

It seems to just stop at this point and does nothing.  If I reboot the server, it knows that it is a Server 2003 OS, but states that the NTOSKERNEL is missing. 

Is it normal for this to get "Stuck" on this screen?  Does it really take several hours?  Is it looking for something else during this time that isn't there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Data Protector Support and News Forum to Automated Backup. - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
randolphea
Occasional Visitor

Re: Data Protector Express Disaster Recovery 3.50-SP2 Stuck?

Follow up question:

I am using a different tape drive for the recovery.  Does DP require the SAME hardware as far as the tape drive goes in order to complete the restore?

svollrat
Honored Contributor

The Device mentioned in the SRD Info has to be available and the new Server needs to be able to contact the CellServer as well as the MediaAgent responsible for streaming the Data to the client.

The content on the CD is just a RecoveryOS with DP-DiskAgent.

randolphea
Occasional Visitor

We just tried using the same Tape Drive that was used to backup the original server.  It is still stopping in the same place.

When you create the recovery CD, does it not include info on how to contact the MediaAgent?  

There is no CellServer, we do all our backups locally. No central management, no need. 

So what am I missing here?  It appears that it is unable to communicate with the tape drive?

svollrat
Honored Contributor

I never used DP Express, only the Enterprise Version but from what I read so far it is basically the same Product and also uses a Server that acts as Catalog Repository.

That Server should also be the one where you create the SRD-Disk or where you get the SRD-Files from.

That one has to be active and reachable for a DR-Restore work, a client never directly contacts a MediaServer unless instructed from the CellServer to do so.