BladeSystem - General
1748123 Members
3400 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2 new c7000s - fans blowing at 89% - why?

Willy Wong
Advisor

2 new c7000s - fans blowing at 89% - why?

We have 13 c7000s, and just received 3 new c7000s.

We've populated 2 c7000s with 10 BL460 G6s each and spread them out. In the third c7000, it is populated with 3 x BL460 G5 (old ones), to be populated a little later with newer G6s.

We've upgraded the OAs to 2.60 for all three enclosures. For some reason, the 2 c7000s with the G6s have ALL the fans blowing at 89%.

No reason why - the ambient temperature is 17C & 19C respectively.

None of our fully loaded c7000s are close. Sounds like a jet engine in our data centre just from these 2 enclosures, and that's saying something.

Has anyone seen this? Could it be a OA firmware issue? I haven't upgraded to 2.60 on any of the old enclosures.

Any help is appreciated...
25 REPLIES 25

Hello Willy,

Have you updated the Power Management controller firmware on the G6 Blades as well as the iLo firmware?

I think you can get all this at hp.com/go/support and search BL460 g6
Willy Wong
Advisor

The Power management controller firmware and iLO firmware are all up-to-date.

Have reseated both OAs as well.

Logged a call to HP, but haven't seen anything yet.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hi willy ,

first ensure no blanking plates are missing,
from blade slots or power supply slots as these fans are designed on a closed enclosure for optimal airflow..

take all firmwares as it is ultimately the OA that manages the enclosure , not the individual blades but blades need firmwares inplace too use guide below

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class.html#tab3_content

then give oa reboot command from cli when all done and should be okay

enjoy :)

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33
Willy Wong
Advisor

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the advice - I'll assign points later, but I'll give an update to the issue.

The two enclosures are Gen 2 c7000s. Might be a firmware issue with the OA.

Found the cause of the fans blowing at 89%. A number of servers had the virtual fan blowing at 100% (see attached bitmap). You can see it by going to the Web Admin for the iLO of the blade, and then looking at the System Info/Fan tab.

To fix the issue, I simply reset the iLO within Diagnostics.

However, everytime I reboot these particular servers, the fan kicks in again to 100%. I then again reset the iLO to make it go back to normal.

Peculiar to say the least. Working with HP to figure out what is going on. Reseating the blades don't help. I may reflash the firmware of the iLOs first to see if it helps. Just haven't had the time yet.

Will keep everyone posted!
hungry
Frequent Advisor

perhaps it is indeed related to the ilo fw:

http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en&docId=emr_na-c01113006-14
You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period. - Pursuit of Happyness

There is a compatibility matrix showing where all the firmwares should be on the bladesystem page..
Willy Wong
Advisor

iLO f/w is up-to-date at 1.80 (sorry - I didn't specify in previous post).

OA f/w is up-to-date at 2.60.

I reflashed the f/w on one of the blades with the issue, but it didn't help. As soon as I reboot it, the fan kicks up again.

Awaiting a response from HP.
hungry
Frequent Advisor

have you checked whether the "increased cooling" option has been set in RBSU of the G6s? If so please try to set it to "optimal cooling"
You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period. - Pursuit of Happyness
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

willy the oa administers the whole enclosure seen similar issues before ensure all firmewares are updated and drivers too but especially firmware

many peopleonly update some firmwwares , on some blades and issue persists , this is because the 0A dynamically administers the enclosure and ift does not work well with differant , mixed firmwares especially if the blades are the same generation seen this many times ..

first update all sys boards then all ilo

then send reboot command to OA from cli all fans will spin up full speed, this is normal they will fall back in circa 60 seconds ,

now see if issue happens again ,,

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33