BladeSystem - General
1753478 Members
5887 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2 new c7000s - fans blowing at 89% - why?

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Re: 2 new c7000s - fans blowing at 89% - why?

wil from the oa on the left click on rack firmware , post screenshot,,ty
Willy Wong
Advisor

I've attached a snapshot of the enclosure with the firmware we've installed, which is pretty much up-to-date (except for the VC - there is a 2.31 which I haven't applied yet).

I've restarted the OA from the CLI.

Same issue after I reboot one of the affected servers.

Fortunately, none of the blades are prod yet.

Thanx!
hungry
Frequent Advisor

thanks for the snapshot.

the fw looks fine to me (but still depends of course how you installed them, ideally the bios of the blades first, then the ilo, then the vc, and last but not least the oa)

do you use 10 fans per enclosure? (which would be advisable of course, or at least 8)

have you checked whether the "increased cooling" option has been set in RBSU of the G6s? If so please try to set it to "optimal cooling"
You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period. - Pursuit of Happyness
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

ok willy this looks fine and narrows our possibilities to find the culprit which is good ....

i suggest reboot all blades then OA
if issue persists

verify all firmware installed from the firmware cd and the drivers from the software psp cd too

tape to psu from other enclosure put them in this enclosure and swap around does issue folllow the psu units

if issues persists next logical step appears to be put one of these blades in the enclosure where there are no issues and one of those blades in this enclosure

let us know what happens then
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmm .......nearly forgot also verify power settings in the enclosures are same makes it easier to cross check

Willy Wong
Advisor

Thanks for the suggestions.

Confirmed "Optimal cooling" is set in the RBSU.

Power settings are the same in the enclosures.

To make it weirder:
1. I reboot the server. Fan goes to 100%.
2. Let server stay up for a bit - fan still at 100%.
3. I reboot the server (I don't reset the iLO) - fan goes back to normal and appears to stay that way.

Didn't have much time for testing today - I'll attempt to do more tomorrow...

Richard Newman
Occasional Advisor

I'm seeing this exact same thing since applying iLO 1.80. Any known resolution before I have to use my own brain power?
Richard Newman
Occasional Advisor

Having "Optimal cooling" set in the RBSU is the source of this problem. Choose the other option and you'll find this will be resolved.

I guess this must be an issue with 1.80 which will be adjusted sooner or lated.
Timur S Lukovkin
Regular Advisor

Do you have an OS installed in these servers?

If you dont have one, this behavior is normal, you need the ILO Managament and ILO interface driver installed so the fans can spin according to the server needs, ILO driver will communicate with ILO and OA so it will provide the temperature information for each server.

Without an ILO driver the fans will operate at 89%.

You can check ILO Web admin status information for the virtual fan, should be at 19%.
Richard Newman
Occasional Advisor

That is entirely NOT true.

These blades worked fine for weeks, right up to the install of iLO 1.80, and from then on we had the 89% fan issue constantly.

We have 2 blades that are part of this discussion, one has an OS on it (Server 2008) and the other has vmware's ESX 4.0.