6202 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding a new LUN on HP ProLiant BL25p EVA 4000

Cristian Espariz

Adding a new LUN on HP ProLiant BL25p EVA 4000

Dear gurus:

I have:
- 2 HP ProLiant BL25p G1 Blades conected to an EVA 4000 system and Command View EVA
- QLogic Driver QLA2312
- Both blades boots from its own internal disks.

I need to create a new LUN and present it to both blades in order to create an Oracle ASM disk.

Question is: Do I need to recreate initrd with some of the utilities in the /opt/hp/src/hp_qla2x00src directory?

Thanks in advance

Cristian
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey!

What OS/Linux do you run?

As far as google goes initrd is the temporary ram-bootdisk? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd

Why would you want to re-create that? You're not booting from SAN are you? Or maybe I just don't know what it is :)

You would need to do a rescan on the servers to find the LUN after you present it. Maybe this is what you mean with what you can do in the hp_gla2x00src dir?

In some cases mounting the file systems on boot causes very long boot and may cause problems.

Don't you have some docs from Oracle telling you what is required on the LUN (a file system that support clustering, block sizes etc)?
Cristian Espariz

Hi Johan, I'm running an Oracle 10g RAC on RHEL 4.4, both servers boots from internal disks (not from SAN); the new LUN will be for an ASM disk that must be seen for both blades.

As you point out, I'm aware of the procedure of rescanning the servers to find the LUNs presented (via hp_rescan -a), but I didn't have any idea if the initrd file keep some information about LUNs.

So according to you is not necessary to rebuilt the initrd, just rescanning on both servers must be enough, right?

Regards

Cristian
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

using
http://hannibal.solstice.nl/hannibalwiki/doku.php?id=storage:iscsi-san
as a source, it looks like you only need to re-create initrd if you need to load some extra kernel modules on every boot (modprobe).

If not, then I would assume you do not need to recreate initrd.
Cristian Espariz

Hi Johan, I think the same. Hope we are right on these, I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot.