5933 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ASR condition: degraded

Cathy McFarland
Occasional Contributor

ASR condition: degraded

Hi all.

I am seeing this status on one of our proliant BL460c servers. Does anyone know how I go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Look at the
System Management Homepage Logs
IML log
OA log
ILO Log
Cathy McFarland
Occasional Contributor

Hi Adrian.

I've checked all the logs and none of them mention an issue with ASR. Or any recent issues at all.

The most recent thing I can se is in the Integrated Management Log and it says:
ASR Detected by System ROM.

Any ideas?
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Cathy,

the IML is the place that will contain ASR events as a minimum, this is a pre H/W logging feature. If you have i.e. Windows on the blade then if you have the Insight Management agents installed, the Windows system.evt log file will also have an event about the ASR.

It means that this blade was reset by the ASR logic on the motherboard because the Operting System was hung for 10 minutes. If you want to debug this issue, then you could disable ASR and the next time the blade hangs, force a manual memory dump via the keyboard or iLO NMI feature.

If you reboot the blade now, with a normal, scheduled reboot, then the warning will go away in the system home page (untill another unexpected reboot due to an ASR occurs.

HTH

Kris
jandel basanal

Kris,

Your saying i can check event logs cause by ASR? is there a feature on ASR to determine the culprit device?
Take every task as an opportunity
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

No there is no direct way to determine the reason for the ASR from the ASR entry in the IML log or other log files. What i explained is that, if this ASR event re-occurs, you need to disabled ASR such that the server does not gets reset after a 10 min. hang but just leave it in the hang situation. Then, manually force a dump and let the memory dump analyse for root cause, it is not always possible to find root cause this way but at least you could try.... the only other alternative is swap parts till you fixed it if it does not turn out to be a software issue in the end ... this is where the dump analysis can help to find the driver issue or whatever caused the hang.

HTH

Kris
jandel basanal

Kris,

Agree.thanks for your help and sticking around.
Take every task as an opportunity