1752451 Members
6443 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Best VC FlexFiber configuration

Gianluca Nanoia
Advisor

Best VC FlexFiber configuration

Hi all, I'm really getting sick configuring two VC flexfiber 10/24 in a customer c7000.

That is the situation:
I have HP c7000 Blade Enclosure
10 bl460c G7
2 VC FlexFiber 10/24 (each one has 4 gbic 1Gb rj45 for the LAN and 2 gbic 8Gb for the SAN)
2 External Cisco ethernet switch
2 External brocade san switch
I have to install vSphere 4.1 on all the servers.

I configured ethernet network like this:
Network 1 named TUNNEL1 (vc1 port x5,x6 ; vc2 port x5,x6)
VCs are in active/stanby mode, so I didn't use gbic in x7 and x8 ports to use them for stacking link (I have more gbic if I need)
I assigned in server profile lan 1 and lan 2 both to TUNNEL1
I created the trunk on cisco switches and all seems to be ok.

SAN-side I have problems, because VCs are active/standby and each server can map luns only with one HBA (the one connected in the active vc). This configuration is not supported in esx environment.

Can I use VC in active/active mode (plugging other 2 lan cables for each vc and using a 4-port trunk on cisco switch? In which way I have to change profiles? can I use "TUNNEL1" lan with all 8 ports (vc1 + vc2) or I have to configure TUNNEL2 for vc2?
I can imagine I have to put the nic "teaming" in esx vswitch in avtive/standby mode, is it true?

I attach an image to better explain my actual configuration

Thanks
Gianluca
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You probably need to create 2 SAN Profiles.

The first 1 with ports from VC Module 1.
The second 1 with ports from VC Module 2.

Did you already do this? or do you have 1 SAN profile?

2 Profiles will effectively give you 2 active fibre connections. 1 for HBA1 (FCoE1) and 1 for HBA2 (FCoE2) to better simulate the "separate" fabric environment.

You do have 2 separate fabrics yes?

Did you create a standard Network Profile? or did you create a Shared Uplink Set for your networking?

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Gianluca Nanoia
Advisor

I created 4 san profiles:
san1 -> bay1x1
san2 -> bay1x2
san3 -> bay2x1
san4 -> bay2x2

I associated san1,san2 profiles to blades 1-5 and san3,san4 to blades 6-10. I don't have port aggregation for san.

I didn't use shared uplinks because I need more vlan on each nic on the blades. I created just 1 ethernet profile:
tunnel1 -> bay1x5,bay1x6,bay2x5,bay2x6
I created 2 trunk groups on the switches to aggregate x5 and x6 ports on each vc.

In this way I have active / standby vcs for both ethernet and san configuration.
I'm thinking about have active/active config, might it be ok in your opinion?

So i could put two more gbic rj45 in x7 and x8 port and configure ethernet profile like this:
tunnel1 -> bay1x5,bay1x6,bay1x7,bay1x8
tunnel2 -> bay2x5,bay2x6,bay2x7,bay2x8
and then associate nic1 to tunnel1 and nic2 to tunnel2 on all blades.
And then (in the esx console) create vswitch1 with nic1 and nic2 in active/standby teaming

What do u think about it?
thank you so much
Gianluca
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

For getting SAN Connectivy how did u connectged.. Did u use the ports x1 - x4 as this ports are intended for SAN connectivity.

X5-x8 are for network connectivity.

I am not exactly got the point about active/passive about SAN connectivity.

You will have a 2 ports per servers and u can map one port to VC1 module and 2nd Port to VC2 module to get the redundancy and u can connect VC1 uplink to one Brocade switch and VC2 uplink to Second Brocade switch.

Your both ports should see SAN and shouldn't be any issue for confuration
Gianluca Nanoia
Advisor

Yes I'm using ports x1 and x2 from vc1 to brocade1 and x1 and x2 from brocade2 to vc2,
but since I didn't connect port x7 and x8, vc1 and vc2 are in active/standby mode, so that configuration is not supported by esx.

I want to use it in active/active mode, plugging other 4 ethernet cables (x7 and x8 port of each vc), and create 2 ethernet profiles, one for each vc. I can name this profiles tunnel1 and tunnel2.
Then I want to associate to the blades the first nic to tunnel1 and the second one to tunnel2.
Could my idea work in any way?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You network configuration is independant of your fibre configuration.

They are 2 different profiles. 1 SAN, 1 Network.

Just because your Network is effectively active/standby... your SAN is still active/active.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Hello,

There are quite a few issues in Your config. I would suggest You to start from

Virtual Connect FlexFabric Cookbook link. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportMâ anual/c02616817/c02616817.pdf
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi