1753300 Members
7142 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL 460c with GBE2 Switch Failover

Navaneeda
Regular Advisor

BL 460c with GBE2 Switch Failover

We have a BL460C connected with HP GBE2 Switch.
BL 460 having 2 Nics. I want to test the BL 460 Nic Failover using this swithces.

I have given 2 different IP for 2 Nics.
To test the Faiover Between the siwthces i have removed one of the switch cable from the enclosutre. After removing one of the Nic conncted to the removed siwthc loss the network connectivity.
If the switch fails the connection should be routed to the another switch. This switch failover is not happening.

How to configure the switch failover ??

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Bruno J. Melo
Valued Contributor

Re: BL 460c with GBE2 Switch Failover

Hi,

Have you tried using HP NIC Teaming?

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/networking/teaming.html

This comes standard with ProLiant Servers and enables you to create a virtual Ethernet connection with 2 to 8 ports that function as though they were a single NIC.

HTH
Navaneeda
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I dont want hp teaming.. i want to utilise both the nics with static ip address.

can i use without teaming ???
how the nic will failover to another switch ??

How to add both 2 nics to both the switches ?? so that if one of the switch fails also the nic which is connected in the faild switch will swithcover to another switch.
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

There are 2 ports as crossconects between those switches, 17 and 18 are harwired over the enclosure midplane, using the appropiate vlan configuration and STP you can get sort of switch failover.
Basically there is no such a thing as switch failover on cclass blades, the best way to get redundancy will be using nic teaming or bonding in cojunction with UFD.
UFD allows the switch to monitor specific uplink ports to detect link failures. When the switch detects a link failure, it
automatically disables specific downlink ports. The corresponding server├в s network adapter can detect the disabled
downlink, and trigger a network-adapter failover to another port on the switch, or another switch in the chassis.
Bruno J. Melo
Valued Contributor

Embedded NIC 1 on BL460c maps directly to interconnect bay 1

Embedded NIC 2 on BL460c maps directly to interconnect bay 2

You can't change the port mapping in a c7000 enclosure.

If one of the switches on these interconnect bays fails you have no possible failover without HP NIC Teaming.

HTH