108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL c7000 - Power Supply

SOLVED
Go to solution
Navaneeda
Regular Advisor

BL c7000 - Power Supply

We are using c7000 enclosure with 6 power supplies. When i see the power supply description it shows as "6x HP 2400W High Efficiency Hot-Plug Power Supply". which means each power supply is 2400W so total 6 power supply will come as 14400W. What is the use of keeping this much power capacity power supplies in the enclosure ??? Even with 16 blades the total power consumption for the enclosure is not more than 4KVA.

Any one can explain the use of 2400W power supplies in the c7000 enclosure...
3 REPLIES 3
Cederberg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi!

First of all. The enclosure doesn't need all 6 powersupplys that amount is for redundancy purposes only. Our enclosures uses only 3 out of 6 psu's in the power saving mode we use.

The reason for the high W is that PSU's work more efficient with high W and lower usage. So it's better to have a high W with low usage than a Low W and high Usage becasue it uses the power more efficiently.

I don't really know where the limit goes with how many PSU you actually need but i wouldn't want to find out with a full enclosure with Production servers.
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This is for redundancy,

there are three config available

N
N+1
and
N+N = 3+3

You can run the entire enclosure with 3 power supply.

:)

Regards,
Sooraj

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you want more clarity how it can be used and how it can be configured.. find the attached picure.. Its an amazing one ..

:)

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie