3456 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460 G1 2x Quad Core > Blue screen

Eric van der Meer - Del
Occasional Advisor

BL460 G1 2x Quad Core > Blue screen

Hello,

We have a strange problems on two (2) of our HP BL460 blades, after installing Proliant Support pack 7.91 we receive a blue screen, this happens after installing HP ProLiant iLO 2 Management Controller Driver.

Blades are provided with the following drivers/firwmare:

- Rompaq: I15 08/21/2007
- iLO Firmware: 1.42 Oct 03 2007

Operating System is:
Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 SP2

Both servers have 2x Quad Core procs, the other blades have only 1 (one).

When restarting in last known good configuration the blades restarts normally.

In Device Manager one device still not installed: 'PCI Device', when comparing on other blade servers (same bios/firmware iLO but only 1 proc) it's the HP ProLiant iLO 2 Management Controller Driver.

Does anyone have a solution for this strange behaviour? Also see picture of the two blades compared, on the left the blade with 2 procs and on the other side the blade with 1 proc.

Kind Regards,

Eric van der Meer
11 REPLIES 11
Eric van der Meer - Del
Occasional Advisor

Okay guy's, just tested it again and now i'm sure.

Installing cp007692.exe gives me the blue screen! See pic for more details.

Someone who has the same problem?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Eric,

Could you try an earlier version of the Driver:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26969.html

Regards.
Eric van der Meer - Del
Occasional Advisor

Thansk for your reply, tried that but still having the same problem.

I just tried to remove one CPU and reinstalled the latest driver from the Proliant Support Pack (7.91), no problem at all, driver installed succesfully and server is working.

After i replace the second CPU i'm getting the same problem, blue screen.
James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

Welcome to my world, I've been battling this one off and on for almost a week now. I have 2 brand new BL460c G1 blades. Both 2x Quad-Core.

Pretty much the same issue. Once the ILO2 Management Controller driver gets loaded, it blue screens and server will no longer boot up.

Interestingly enough, if I load Windows 2003 x64, everything seems to work ok. The 64-bit iLO2 Management Controller driver is working correctly without issue.

I pulled a CPU, and still having the problem, so it's not because of the 2x CPUs.

Still troubleshooting, and will update with any results. Maybe worth trying an older version of that driver. I need to reload a 32-bit OS again.
James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

Wait, you said it works OK with only one proc? I'll try that again, it seemed I still had the issue.
Eric van der Meer - Del
Occasional Advisor

I downgraded the Firmware version to 1.35 previous, after that (still had the blue screen) I removed the second proc and things are working....

but...
My HP Teaming software died, I had to uninstall (Network Connections) HP Teaming software and reinstall it to let it operate normally.

Things getting weird now, HP doesn't recognize the problem but do agree that there are some problems with HP Proliant Support Pack 7.91.
James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

I pulled one of the CPUs and moved it to another existing blade that only had 1.

It's running just fine now 2x CPU (Quad-core) with Windows 2003 Standard 32-bit and PSP 7.91.

I Haven't been able to make much sense of this yet.
James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

Well, it turns out the CPU i pulled was 2.66ghz and the existing CPU was 2.33ghz. When they're installed together, it down the higher one so they are both to 2.33ghz. Everything works just fine.

So here's where I'm at:

Default Configuration
CPU1 2.66Ghz
CPU2 2.66Ghz
PSP 7.91
Result = Blue Screen

Modified Configuration
CPU1 2.33Ghz
CPU2 2.66Ghz (Downrevs to 2.33)
PSP 7.91
Result = No problems
Eric van der Meer - Del
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for this reply, i'm gonna test this today.

Will reply soon.