4667 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460C and WINPE/MS ADS

Jared Hedman_2
Advisor

BL460C and WINPE/MS ADS

All,

Has anyone been able to get a BL460c or BL480c to boot up to WINPE yet? I have copied driver after driver to the INF and System32 directories in my WINPE directory, and nothing is working. I'm getting very frustrated and would sincerely appreciate some help. I have even followed this article and tried the IBM drivers since some people say that works for them (of course it didn't work for me) (http://www.911cd.net/forums//lofiversion/index.php?t11188.html).

Anyway, I've edited the NICS section in my winbom.ini to try and include the new inf file as well, but that didn't help either. If you have been able to make it work, please help! I need to be able to boot to WINPE so that I can begin to deploy these new blades using ADS.

Thanks,
8 REPLIES 8
Dave Thomson
Super Advisor

Hello Jared

We deployed to the BL460's with winpe on the course no problems. Im busy building my scripts for deployment today and tommorrow, ill give feed back as soon as im done.
Dave Thomson
Super Advisor

Sorry Jared, i misread your scenerio. Im deploying using HP's RDP and not MS ADS.
Jared Hedman_2
Advisor

Thank you for at least trying to reply. I really do look forward to finding anyone that can help with this. Truly it makes it almost impossible to do system imaging when HP decides to use new NIC chipsets in every generation. Anyway, please post any information you may have about the BL series and WINPE compatible NIC drivers.
Jared Hedman_2
Advisor

I guess here's a question for you, do you know what drivers the RDP uses in WINPE for these servers?
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

This might sound a big of a cludge....

But have you tried downloading the RDP 3.1 or ICDC or ICE ISO images and inspecting the WINPE folders on those DVDs?

Just copying over the WINPE folder would be a start. It should have all the drivers in there. As that is what I've used to WINPE boot BL460s BL480s. Make sure you have a copy of your WINPE folder first.

You could even install RDP and then check the installed files and their content and then cherry pick the bits from there for your own solution.

Jared Hedman_2
Advisor

I may have to try that now. I have tried the drivers that come with the SSSTK and those dont even work. At this point, i'm simply trying to integrate drivers into a base WINPE2005 build, and simply see if I can get IP connectivity. But that isn't working at all. HP's support is seriously aggravating me as well. They have no answers and it's pissing me off. We spend hundreds of thousands with them and they can't even help. Maybe I'll just have to try my MS Premier support now, they seem to know HP hardware better than HP. Thanks... I'll see if I can even download the RDP software and try it.
Jared Hedman_2
Advisor

Well, I took your advice and grabbed the latest RDP pack from HP and tried the WINPE from that kit.

And well, it still didn't work. I tried two different ways including just copying all the drivers from the RDP build and actually booting to the WINPE build in the RDP kit. For some reason, both times, the Starting Networking task fails in WINPE and the process stops. If I try to ping something, I get the error "Unable to contact IP driver, error code 2".

Now I'm left wondering what is going on... Can't believe it's this difficult to get a brand new BL460 to boot to WINPE. Any help would be appreciated!
Alex Harden

When we took delivery of some C7000 enclosures and BL460c's in Q4 2006, I built some with W2K3 and successfully imaged them with ADS. It's been a while since then and the ADS host (which also runs VirtualCenter) has been upgraded to W2K3 SP2. I've also got newer firmware on some of the BL460c's. Long story short, I can no longer boot an updated BL460c to the Deployment Agent. I've tried several driver revisions in the nbs/repository/user/presystem directory to no avail. I think either the upgrade to SP2 or the upgrade in firmware has caused the DA build to fail. I still have some testing to do to try to isolate, but I have uninstalled/reinstalled ADS without success.