1753325 Members
5241 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL480c - QMH2462 - Boot from SAN - POST error 101 - I/O ROM Error

Paul Gibbons

BL480c - QMH2462 - Boot from SAN - POST error 101 - I/O ROM Error

Hi,

I have 2 BL480c Blades installed in a C7000 enclosure with 2 dual port QMH2462 mezzanine HBAs installed in them. I had problems with getting these blades configured as boot on SAN so I updated the ROM BIOS to 10-04-07 and I then upgraded the HBA firmware to the 1.63 multiboot image from here (dated July 2007)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1844105&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeri
esId=1844104&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54

I have Virtual Connect installed in the enclosure and am running three Cisco switches, a 9506, and 2 9216s. I can zone the port all the way to the storage but on POST I get this error "101 - I/O ROM error". Any searches I do state that this is either a very old error or a problem with my PCI cards. My HBAs work fine however once a local OS has been built out. I can run Sansurfer on them and have updated firmware and drivers with no problem. I can run all configuration tools in Sansurfer with no issues and Windows 2003 R2 does not report the HBAs as having any problems.

The problem is the POST error does not allow me to enter the HBA BIOS on boot and check the settings are being applied as I set them in SANsurfer. I also need this access in order to troubleshoot the Boot from SAN issues I've been having and to confirm that VC supplied WWNs are being entered correctly in the HBA BIOS.

Can anyone help please?
3 REPLIES 3
Dale R.

Re: BL480c - QMH2462 - Boot from SAN - POST error 101 - I/O ROM Error

Have you resolved your issue yet?
Paul Gibbons

Apologies for the delay in updating this. I had to escalate this to 2nd level SAN support and these things can take their time.

Essentially my problem was to do with the revision of HBA.

I had updated server ROM, Qlogic firmware, and since the problem was happening on 2 servers I was swap testing like mad as well. All to no avail.

I had HBAs of revision level 0B (this will be on the sticker with the HP part number underneath the SKU# number).

The replacement part had a revision of 0D and this resolved everthing for me. Boot from SAN works with VC populating the WWN and i can pick up presented disks no problem. I do have a problem now whereby the thing now hangs on the Windows 2003 splash screen after installing PSP 7.91, a Last Good Known Configuration rolls me back and the machine boots no problem! I'll trawl around the forums and see what I can see about that one!

Paul Gibbons

See previous post