108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: BL685c G6 power issue. Need advice.

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

BL685c G6 power issue. Need advice.

Pierre had a customer issue with powering up a chassis:

Hi

This situation is with a new blades enclosure installation. I have a power issue with BL685 G6, when I do power up the server the server will start to boot, but I get the following error message at the console. “Enclosure Power Event Detected”, “System Halted until Power condition is corrected”. (See attachment power.gif) In the OA log (see oa.log) there is no error message. The c-7000 display panel is all green, no error. If I take the blade out of the bay, reseat the blade and power the blade it boot ok. I saw this error on the first day of installation, did not pay that much attention because the blade was ok after reseating the blade. We did flash the enclosure and blades with Firmware CD 9.1c.

On the second day when trying to use RDP to push a OS, we did power the blade again, the issue came back. If I reseat the blade, it will boot ok. I do not know if this will reoccur again, I need to test.

The configuration of the enclosure is a c7000, with 8 BL685 G6, two Flex-10 modules and two OA. The enclosure have 6 power supply but only one side (3 power supply) do get power, the customer do not have extra power in PDU to connect the other 3 power supply. I do not the information on how the OA is configure for power redundancy. Does someone have seen this kind of error? Having 3 power supplies should be ok to power all the 8 blades but will not provide any redundancy. This error is present event when only one server is power up.

Any inputs on what to look for to resolve the issue?

Hoa joined the discussion:

I don’t think you have enough power to run the enclosure with three power supplies in place without errors.      Below links may help you to understand more on the issue.     Try to enable Dynamic Power, enable AC Redundancy via front panel or OA User Guide instruction.

What do you think? Any other thoughts on this?

2 REPLIES 2
keithnj

We have the same intermittent problem.  Here's our configuration and don't think we are oversubscribed to power.

Bay

Device Model

Firmware Component

Current Version

ProLiant BL460c G6

System ROM

I24 03/30/2010

iLO2

1.81 Jan 15 2010

Power Management Controller

ProLiant BL460c G6

System ROM

I24 03/30/2010

iLO2

1.81 Jan 15 2010

ProLiant BL460c G6

System ROM

I24 03/30/2010

iLO2

iLO2  1.81 Jan 15 2010

ProLiant BL460c G6

System ROM

I24 03/30/2010

iLO2

1.81 Jan 15 2010

Bay

Device Model

Firmware Version

HP 1/10Gb VC-Enet Module

Interconnect Firmware Information

Device Name

BladeSystem c7000 Onboard Administrator

Manufacturer

HP

Firmware Version

3.11 Aug 19 2010

Hardware Version

B1

Part Number

412142-B21

Spare Part Number

414055-001

Serial Number

…...

Enclosure Ambient Temperature

21°C / 69.8°F

Thermal Subsystem Status

OK

Power Subsystem Status

OK

Power Mode

Not Redundant

Present Power

1096 Watts AC

Power Limit

10944 Watts AC

There was a “degraded” notice on the OA screen for the chassis regarding the power supplies in bays 4 and 6 but this notice has been there all along without issue.  Power bays 4 and 6 are empty.

I just checked the blades in NJ and they all rebooted and now they are stuck at the HP screen reading “Enclosure Power Event Detected. System Halted until Power Condition is corrected”.

Server OS config:  Vmware ESXi 4.0.0 Realeasebuild-261974

Server Hardware config:  ProLiant BL460c G6, 2x X5650 @ 2.67GHz, 96 GB

4 blades installed.

6 power supplies installed.

Mav83
Regular Visitor

The servers need to be power cycled to get rid of this error. Either do it from the ilo config page or you could take he servers out of the bay and plug them back in to power cycle them. This should resolve the error.