New Discussion юеВ

Blade Hard Drive Space

SOLVED
Go to solution
pepps1976
Occasional Advisor

Blade Hard Drive Space

Hi There all

I Have Blade BL460's and only bought them with 72 gig hard drives that are in a mirrored configuration, on one of the blades i need to add two 146 Gig drives in the same mirrored configuration, Can anybody please tell me the the easiest way to acheive this.

Thanks

John
8 REPLIES 8
Cederberg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Blade Hard Drive Space

Hi John!

Easiest way to to this is to switch the drives one at the time and let the drive rebuild before you change the next. Then using ACU to extend the array to the free space that is avalible after you have changed the two disks and they have rebuilt the array. This can be done Online with a little impact on the server.

When you have extended the array you can either create a new partition or use a third party software to expand your current partition or in windows 2008 you can do this online with windows disk management tool.

Regards

//Cederberg
pepps1976
Occasional Advisor

Hi Thanks for the reply just a couple more questions is this safe to do live swapping the drives over 1 at a time until they have been rebuilt.

And also i have opened up the ACU just to have a quick look but was unable to see where you extend the drives in there.

Thanks Again John
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hi again.

Well how safe are you when one of the disks breaks down. I've done this many times. And i haven't run into any trouble yet. Knock on wood.

If you are unsure. Make a backup of the data.

Well I checked now and i think it only shows the option to extend if there are free space on the logical drive. And i think now that i looked in the ACU that it's the logical drive that is the one that will need the extending.

regards.

//Cederberg
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello John,

I've done this many times with different ML, DL oder BL servers. You should have a valid and functional backup of you data. ;) But I've never faced any data loss.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
pepps1976
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the great help guys.

I have just pulled out one of the drives and it says that it is rebuilding.

Does anyone know where you can see the percentage rebuild in the ACU

John
pepps1976
Occasional Advisor

Ok I think i might have done something wrong here, I have both the 146 gig drives in now

Then i went into create logical drive which i did then i went into the operating system to see if i could extend my c drive but i cant and the new storage is being shown as a new disk.

Any idears what i have done wrong
pepps1976
Occasional Advisor

ITs Ok I found what i needed to do thanks for all your help guys
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Your welcome. Please assign points to answeres that helped you with your problem.

Regards

//Cederberg