BladeSystem - General
1748123 Members
3339 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blade server 460c Running it outside the enclosure

kreilly

Blade server 460c Running it outside the enclosure

I am trying to see if there is a way of getting cables or hooking a power supply up to the blade server and have it run on my network without it in an enclosure. I am switching locations and moving part of the company over an i want to pull one blade server out and have it run at the new location but connect to the network. I do not have a spare enclosure but i have a couple rack servers with power supplies. I don't seem to have any cables to hook a monitor up or keyboard , network.
If anyone can direct me in the direction.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

i think there is no other solution as an HP C3000/C7000 enclosure.

mikap
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Take 100 off the blade server model and try and borrow, beg, hire a rackmount server of the new model no.
Eg if its a BL465 then you want a DL365. Generation numbers can make it more difficult so ask here.

Move the drives from the blade to the rackmount server and just re-boot.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Given that virtually all(*) the I/O connections from the Blade go through the chassis, even if you could get power to it when outside the chassis, there would be no way to speak to it. That would make the system rather useless.

(*) Yes, there is the front connector that connects to the "SUV" (Serial, USB and Video) cable, but that doesn't really count :)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
kreilly

ok so what is the cheapest used chassis that will support the HP Proliant BL460c? Anyone have something used that i can buy?
Thanks
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

c3000 is the cheapest one. But this original guestion is something else =)
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

As said earlier, it will make much more sense to get another standalone server and transfer the OS to it during this time.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
kreilly

ok i was trying to avoid using a new server. budget is tight. I only have one enclosure so i would need to buy another one since there is no way of getting cables to hook up to the blade by itself. Since the enclosure is probably going to cost $$ i might as well just use a workstation i have and copy the serve on to it but until i move the blade enclosure to the new location it will be painfully slow. I don't have to many powerful machines to use as servers. I was just hoping that there was a way to leave one blade server in the enclosure at building "A" and run the other blade server at building "B" outside the enclosure until we move the rest of the company from Building "A" to building "B" then the 2 Blade servers would be in the enclosure together again.
Thanks for your help.

Camprr23
Occasional Visitor

Just to dig up and old thread from 2009! There are several people who have done this now.. https://ubl0g.blogspot.com/2020/10/project-blade-network-server.html