1753922 Members
7667 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blades and MSA60

Jozef Tlachac

Blades and MSA60

Hi,

I have question .. It's possible to connect HP StorageWorks 60 Modular Smart Array to the c3000 enclousure with HP Blades .. I have this array and I'm thinking about Blade solution .. I'm thinking about Vmware, it's for small company ..

Or if you have any suggestion pls write ..

thanks

Jozef
7 REPLIES 7
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Can't give you an exact answer on the MSA60.

But there's serveral option avialable for the C-Class, that should suite any wallet.

PCI cage, wich allow you to attach PCI cards to a Blade.
SB40C a storage blade, that take 6 drives.
You can also get a tape drive solution.
Downside is, that these solutions take 1 slot, and they must be installed in the slot next to. And its 1 and 2, 3 and 4 etc.

I can't remember, but there might be an external storage solution, in the same catagory.

The there's the possiblity for a SAN solution, like the EVA4400.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Jozef Tlachac

Hi,

thx for answer .. Customer has this array and old server .. Now is thinking about Blade solution, at the first with c3000 enclousure and two blades .. As storage, the would use this MSA 60 array .. It was one of possibilities :) ...

how can I use PCI cage ??
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

The PCI box, add pci slots to the blade, so you're able to use legazy PCI/PCIe cards with the blade.
Downside is it use a Blade slot.

I'm not familiar with the MSA60, so no exact answer.
But what ever you use to connect to the msa60, should be possible to move to the PCI box.

Also try to check the external storage ection of the link I postet. It might give you som answers.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/3gbsas_switch/index.html

I have no idea if this solution support the use of the MSA60.

Accept or Kudo

kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

The issue with using the PCIe cage is that you are limited to a connection to one server blade only and i have some doubts about the support of this kind of configuration. For the MSA60 you could use the SAS interconnect switches and as such share the MSA60 between different blades in the enclsoure. This requires you to install SAS switches in the back of the C3000, have a look on the web for the SAS switch interconnect modules and the P700 SmartArray mezzanine cards on the blades.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/3gbsas_switch/index.html

HTH

Kris
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

hmm, sorry seems you need MSA2000sa alike enclosures for that or the MDS600C storage product, not the MSA60.... So i don't see how one MSA60 can be used with the C3000 blade enclosure.