BladeSystem - General
1748195 Members
4651 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blades only seeing 6 nics using flex-10

Favad

Blades only seeing 6 nics using flex-10

We have taken delivery of a HP c7000 enclosure with 2 VC FLex-10 modules (running firmware 3.10). The blades are BL465 G7 with the emulex 10Gb CNAs running firmware 2.102.453.0
With 1 blade all 8 NICS are visible (this has ESX 4.1 installed). 4 Other blades can only see 6 nics - these are either running ESX 4.1 or windows 2008R2. The fireware levels on the blades look the same. We also tried to re assign profiles ot the bays in case this might reslve the issue but no luck.
Anyone seen this or can recommend a next course of action?
thanks
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

What is the exact definition in the profile? If you have specified an FCoE connection in the profile, FlexNIC2 now will look like an HBA to the host OS and won't be available as a plain old NIC.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Are there 8 nic's defined in the server profile(s) in your VC Manager?

Can you attach a screenshot of one of the profiles in question?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Biggles_uk

To respond to my colleague it seems I have resolved the issue. By default the second NIC ports (even if only the first NIC's are defined in the profile) are defined as either iSCSI or FCOE connections, iSCSI in our case. Which is why only 6 vNic's are displayed to the OS.

If you want to enable them as normal ethernet connections you have to enable PXE on at least a single interface (lom1:a in my test). Once that is done, Flex-10 reverts the lom1:b and lom2:b connections be to a normal network connection.

I think you can disable PXE booting on the vNic once all eight are visible to the the OS.

Hope this helps someone else...

Adam
Favad

thanks for all your responses - as indicated by biggles we resolved the issue by enabling PXE boot. Not yet sure if this is a lack of reading the documentation or a feature.