BladeSystem - General
1753792 Members
7484 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Bladeserver error after firmware upgrade

Bladeserver error after firmware upgrade

I upgraded the firmware with the firmware cd (9.20). Installed all updates. After the install finnished I am not able to start the server.

The led is yellow, and nothing happens when pushing it.
In BladeStystem OA the server has a Critical Error, and has an error on the management processor.

I have tried to put it in another bladecenter. I have tried to start it with jumper-reset.

The server in question is a bl480c

Anyone?
12 REPLIES 12
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Try to check the IML.

You can do that from the ILo.

It might tell you the problem.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

iLO is not available so that is not an option.

In OA the server is marked with an red X in the Front View, and have the status "Critical Error". And Management Processor: Error. The rest of the information is "unknown"
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Ok

Could be corrupt BIOS or bad memory.
Try to remove half the modules.

or try:
To access redundant ROM, set S1, S5, and S6 to ON.
then re-run the FW upgrade.

If neither works, it could be the system i/o bd is lost.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Is this just one blade that shows critical after you did SmartUpdate 9.20? Are there other blades in the enclosure that were updated and are ok?
I agree with last response that you probably do have a hardware failure since the problem stays with this blade server after moving it to a different enclosure.

Is the OA system log (syslog) reporting any additional information?

Have allready tried to set the dip-switches to reset, but nothing happens with the server. It is still impossible to turn on.

The OA syslog tells me nothing new. A short time after I put the server in the bladecenter it logs that there is an error with the server. The actual log is listed below.

I have not upgraded any other servers, this was the first one, and I would like to find out what went wrong before I continue with the others.

relevant syslog from OA:
Dec 6 21:05:29 OA: Blade inserted in bay 8
Dec 6 21:05:29 OA: Blade in bay #8 status changed to OK
Dec 6 21:09:17 OA: Management Processor on Blade 8 appears unresponsive.
Dec 6 21:09:35 OA: Blade 8 has been allocated a default power value of 509W because iLO appears unresponsive.

..and thank you for the responses so far! :-)
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

I would contact HP technical support if you have not already. I assume the other blades installed are working ok, but have not yet been updated.
Oberon
Advisor

I have the same issue after 9.20 and OA plus VC upgrades to the latest versions except that my systems run for a week and then some come back with the same error (with 685s and 460s - currently have 6 out of 12 servers in limbo).

My only way out is to connect on to the OA and issue a reset server commands which I prefer not to do given I have to stop all the servers to do this.

I saw another thread that said this may happen if the Interconnect addresses are on the same segment as the servers.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

9.2 took out a ML 350G5, 2 fc2142SRs and DL 380 G5 and its fc2142SR.

HP has been here for 20 hours over two days. The server finally came up on one HBA and I am backing it up. I don't want to reboot it. It may not come up again.