New Discussion юеВ

Brocade BladeSystem 4/12 SAN Switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
toni osta
Frequent Advisor

Brocade BladeSystem 4/12 SAN Switch

Hi ,
I have a c7000 enclosure with one Brocade BladeSystem 4/12 SAN Switch , and 2 blades BL870c with Qlogic HBA installed

i want to know if i need to connect the blades to an EVA4000 , should i connect 2 ports from SAN switch , and each port related to a blade , or i can use only one port and connect the 2 blades , in that case only one fiber cable will be enough to connect the two server blades
and in that case , how i configure such a configuration
thank you
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Brocade BladeSystem 4/12 SAN Switch

You need to connect both controllers of the EVA to at least 1 switch.

Normal configurations...

Connect FP1 on both controllers to your "Fabric A" switch.

Connect FP2 on both controllers to your "Fabric B" switch.

You mentioned that you only had 1 4/12 SAN Switch. That means you can only utilize one of the ports on the qlogic HBA in the servers. The HBA's are dual ported.

Now, you did not mention if the EVA was already connected to another SAN Switch. Is it?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Toni,

you need to connect the even ports of the EVA to Switch 1, and the odd ports to Switch 2. This is recommended for all EVAs, regardsless if they have two or four host ports. The blades are internally connected to the switch. The external ports on each switch can be used as uplink or as host ports for external storage.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
toni osta
Frequent Advisor

Hi

The existing EVA have already 2 brocades SAN switches and it is working and servers are connected to it
now i am adding a c7000 enclosure with 2 integrity blade inside ,
i have only one integrated brocade switch inside the c7000
should i specify which port i should use to connect the servers to SAN or i can utilise any port by default , it means no configuration should be done on the switch , it will be enough to conect any port of the Integrated SAN switch to the SAN switches of the existing EVA ?

Thank you
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

yes, you can use any of the external uplink ports on your 4/12 Brocade interconnect switch in the C7000 enclosure, however keep in mind that :

- you only are able to connect one FC port per blade server to the EVA (second port is mapped to the second interconnect which you do not have right now)

- you will not have a redundant link per blade server in this usage model.

- it does not matter what uplink port that you use , the port mapping from the blade server to the Brocade interconnect is only internally in the chassis, the external port are only uplink ports. So there is no physicall relation between a uplink port at the back of the Brocade interconnect switch and the ports of the FC mezzanine cards in the blade server.

If you look at the OA graphical interface, you will see that there is one FC port from your bl870c mapped to the Brocade on the ports 0-16. The uplinks are the other 8 ports since this is a 24 port switch (16 internal and 8 external). You only have a license for 12 ports, which is fine as long as you do not use more then 12 ports in total (internal and uplinks together).

HTH

Kris
toni osta
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the replies

i will install HPUX from an external USB DVD
i was reading the service guide of the integrity blades , and there is a part that i have to specify and create an HPUX boot option

in the rx series when installing the HPUX , it is created automatically the hpux boot option , is it different with integrity hp blades ?

Thank you