1752800 Members
5608 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C 7000 Link Mode

garth_2
Occasional Contributor

C 7000 Link Mode

Can anyone tell whats the max amount of C7000 enclosures you can have in linked together .. I got this question on the AIS bladesystem test and its puzzling me.

6 REPLIES 6
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

hi garth,

Check page 8 of this document:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00816246/c00816246.pdf

You can link seven c7000 enclosures together.

good luck on your AIS... if you appreciate the answers we appreciate the points!
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Wow! This is clearly the very latest info (doc is dated August 2010).

It might be too recent for your test, I'm pretty sure that the previous "supported" limit was 4 enclosures (at least until this doc).

So either your test is old and is expecting the answer 4, or it is very much up to date and expecting the answer 7.

Good Find

Dave.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

I also thought it was 4... HP's logic being that you can only get 4 enclosures into a standard 42U rack, and that linking was intended for management of enclosures within a single rack. This is noted in numerous documents including the c7000 setup guide.

I'm starting to think that the info in the referenced document is erroneous. It specifically mentions c7000 enclosures, but it is seven _c3000s_ that would fit into a rack (making it a slightly more comprehendable answer).
The Brit
Honored Contributor

I'm not so sure that it is c3000-specific.

If you look at the "Note" at the bottom of the page, it discusses "enforcing common rack name", implying that the enclosures can have different rack names. (and also implying that they can be in different racks.)

What do you think??

Dave
garth_2
Occasional Contributor

thanks all, I do think the answer is 4 as that was a choice. I am pretty sure 7 wasnt an option. I was testing for the 09 cert. which makes sense. 4 8 16 256 those where the choices. I flunk that darn test by 2 points my luck. I will take a crack at it again sometime this week.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Well garth it's clear to me that the correct answer on the test was "4" but I'm more confused than ever about what HP actually supports.

The doc is called "Technologies in the HP c7000 Enclosure" so we should be able to assume that's the enclosure they're referencing can support seven linkings, right? (First time I'd ever heard or read that!)

The doc links to a similar document regarding c3000 enclosures:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01508406/c01508406.pdf
which also lists support for seven linkings.

Garth I think you should take issue with the test results as they failed to present you with a valid choice on that question! :)

good luck....