New Discussion юеВ

Re: c-Class blades and iLO

SOLVED
Go to solution
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

c-Class blades and iLO

Hi,

I am new to blades and we currently have a demo unit (C7000) in house for evaluation purposes.

I am not understanding how the iLOs work on a blade. Does each blade require a dedicated data cable run to it for iLO oonnectivity. Or can all the blade iLOs feed off the Onboard Administratior connection. Thus for the latter, I would only need to run CAT6 cable (to the OA) instead of having to run 17 cables (one for OA and 16 for each of the blade iLOs). This would be in addition, of course, the the existing CAT6 cables run for the standard network connectivity of each blade.

This is assuming I am using an Ethernet pass-through interconnect.

Can someone clarify this for me?
Thanks
Nelson
8 REPLIES 8
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi
All iLO ports are connected to the network through OA port, so you will need just one CAT6 cable (two if you will have redundant OA).
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks. I did find the "Enclosure Bay IP Addressing", but it forces me to use a range of addresses.

I need to be able to assign unique addresses to each iLO, but still use the OA to do this. Is this possible.

In our enviroment, we have one subnet for management interfaces - lets called it 192.168.1 (Class C) for an demonstration purposes.

Our server ILO IPs are scattered throughout this range. For example, a non-blade server iLO may be using 192.168.1.25 and a blade ILO may be assigned by our data management group the 192.168.1.26 address (and .27 then being assigned to another non-blade server).

So how to I get the OA to allow me to assign non-contiguous IP addresses?
Thanks
Nelson
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

AFAIK it's not possible to assign non-contiguous IP addresses using OA. You can set static addresses on iLOs, or use DHCP server with DHCP-static mappings for these blades. Check out page 41 of this document:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705292/c00705292.pdf

hope this helps
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks again.

The doc you provided says static IP addresses can be set, but does not say how to set them.

With non-blade server, you boot up and press F8 to configure the iLO. With blades, there is no KVM, so I cant configure the iLO without having an iLO - its a catch 22. Unless you hook up that ridiculus dongle to an external KVM - which is a major pain to setup everytime you want to build a blade and does not provide a solution for remote sites.

So I must be missing something somewhere.

Thanks
Nelson
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Page 7

Alternate method: If you do not want to use Enclosure Bay IP addressing, you must connect to each
server blade's front SUV port (using the SUV cable shipped with every enclosure) and configure the
iLO IP address manually during BIOS POST.

with each ILO GUI or F8 from POST

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705292/c00705292.pdf
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Bummer - I guess I already knew that was going to be the answer, but thanks for the confirmation.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

See responses to this post.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

It appears that the new version of the firmware for the OA allows you to manually assign a unique IP address to each blade iLO throught the OA management page.

Yeah!
Nelson