4462 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: c3000 + BL460c + Cisco 3020 DHCP issue

David Rimmer
Frequent Advisor

c3000 + BL460c + Cisco 3020 DHCP issue

Hi,

I have a c3000 enclosure full with BL460c half height blade servers inside. I have 2 x Cisco 3020 switches inside the enclosure. I connected my Cisco blade 3020 switch to our core switch. I can ping the core switch and every device in LAN if I hyper-terminal to cisco 3020 switch but my blades are not gettting an IP address from DHCP.

Can you please help me how I can troubleshoot this further?
Thank you,
3 REPLIES 3
HEM_2
Honored Contributor

By default, the Cisco 3020 mgmt IP address is on Fast Ethernet 0 (fa0) which does not use the 3020 uplinks but instead is routed through the OA/ILO port. This is probably why you can ping to and from the 3020.

Sounds like you might need to troubleshoot the uplink to your core a bit more. Check to see if you have link. Check to see if you are plugging in to the right VLAN, etc.

Is it a fiber connection? FYI...There are some known issues with 3020s connecting to Cat 6500s via Fiber on early versions of Cisco 3020 IOS.
David Rimmer
Frequent Advisor

You were right, I took the ILO cable out and now cannot ping the core switch anymore. I am not using fiber, it is copper(RJ45). I use the uplink ethernet gigabit ethernet 0/17.

IOS on Cisco 3020 is Version 12.2(37)SE1

I do not think there is an issue with VLAN because I do not get any VLAN mismatch errors on both switches.

Cisco 3020
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 35
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast

Cisco Core Switch
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 35
switchport mode trunk
switchport voice vlan 40
no mdix auto
spanning-tree portfast

Probably I am missing something, any suggestions?
Thx
David Rimmer
Frequent Advisor

Now, I have connection between Cisco 3020 switch and my core switch even OA ILO cable is unplugged which is good. But my blade servers still cannot get IP address or if I try to staticly assign, no luck.

- Do I need to install anything on the servers so they will get an IP?

- Port mapping is automatically done so I do not think, I need to map anything.

- Can the issue be with FULL-Dupluex / 1000mb?

- I believe connectivity between switches are OK as I can ping core switch from Blade 3020 switch and can ping Blade Switch the Core Switch. no VLAN-mismatch or anything.

- Any HP Pack/Suite required to install to join my blade servers to LAN?

Thank you,