New Discussion юеВ

Re: c3000 enclosure

SOLVED
Go to solution
badsector
Advisor

c3000 enclosure

Hi,

Just wondering if it is possible to have following configuration on c3000 enclosure interconnect bays?

bay 1 ethernet passhtru
bay 2 ethernet passthru
bay 3 4gb fc passthru
bay 4 4gb fc passhtru

When I try to configure c3000 with bl460c g6 and 2 4gb glogic cards I get errors that it is incompatible. What would be the best way to ensure redundand fc interconnect bays and redundant ethernet interconnect bays on c3000 enclosure?
10 REPLIES 10
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hi,
In order to get ethernet redundancy you will need to put an Ethernet card on Mess Bay 1.

Note: If you check the port mapping diagram for the C3000.

1) All LOM NIC's map to IC bay 1
2) Mezz slot 1 maps all ports to IC Bay 2

With Ethernet NIC card on Mezz 1 you have redundancy for Ethernet. You can set up NIC teams between LOM ports and Mezz 1.

3) If you place a 2 port HBA on Mezz slot 2, then Port 1 maps to IC bay 3, and Port 2 maps to IC bay 4.

This gives you redundancy for your FC, (although the HBA is a single point of failure.)

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

check the attachment you will see what can be done with your blade enclosure, and you can see the difference between your c3000 and c7000.

mikap
badsector
Advisor

So I am not able to do the same thing as on c7000 enclosure where on half height blade I am able to map it like I mentioned in my first post?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

What you need to undestand, is that a C3000 is a half C7000.
Roughly said:
They cut the C7000 down the middle.

C7000 vs C3000

Interconnect bay 1 = Bay 1
Interconnect bay 2 = na
Interconnect bay 3 = Bay 2
Interconnect bay 4 = na
Interconnect bay 5 = Bay 3
Interconnect bay 6 = na
Interconnect bay 7 = Bay 4
Interconnect bay 8 = na

So you can put a 2 port nic in mezz 1, to have a ethernet passthrough in interconnect bay 2.

I just need to re-check the the port mapping on ICB 3 and 4.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Check page 22
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01508406/c01508406.pdf#19

It say the same as mikap's attachment

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

So I am not able to do the same thing as on c7000 enclosure where on half height blade I am able to map it like I mentioned in my first post?

of course not, because c3000 is not designed for enterprise solutions, i would prefer more normal single servers solution instead of blade c3000, but this is just my personal opinion, so please don't be hesitate form my answer.

mikap
badsector
Advisor

thanks everyone
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

You're welcome.

>Mikap.
Yes there's pros and cons to blades.

I love the blades.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi gregersenj,

yes, of course as you mentioned the blade have pros / cons, its depends, what the customer required for solution.

mikap