3445 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C3000 Firmware upgrade

Kristian_Leth
Advisor

C3000 Firmware upgrade

Hello.

We have a C3000 Enclosure, and are soon going to upgrade its firmware - and therefor i have 3 questions:

1:

We are running version 3.55 and i can see that there is 2 new versions - a 3.6x and 3.7x... Can i upgrade directly to 3.7x or do i need to upgrade to 3.6x first?

2:

I could see on another forum, that its recommended to upgrade the iLO firmware for this Enclosure - but what iLO version is the C3000 running?

3:

Can i leave the servers online at the Enclosure? or do i need to power them off to update the C3000 Firmware???

(Even if i can keep the servers online, i will do it at next scheduled service window).

7 REPLIES 7
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

You are looking to update the OA firmware on the c3000 if I understand correctly.  Ill answer your questions first :

Can i upgrade directly to 3.7x

- yes, going from 3.55 to 3.7 can be done in one update.

but what iLO version is the C3000 running?

- iLO is found on the server blades, not the enclosure.  It is generally advised to check the iLO versions of the blades and update them when performing an OA update.  However, if they are OK at version 3.55, they will probably be OK at version 3.7.  Wont hurt to check though.

Can i leave the servers online at the Enclosure?

- The OA firmware update will not take the server blades offline.  When a server's iLO is updated, that iLO is reset, but again this doesnt affect the operation of the server.

What you also need to consider is the firmware of the interconnect modules you are running.  The OA firmware contains updates for pass through modules, but switches and virtual connect modules require their own updates.

Given all that, what is suggested is to utilize HP's Smart Update Manager utility to perform the OA and iLO updates.  This will check for compatability, handle the update process and reset the components to activate the new firmware.  This utility is installed on another server that is accessible to the OA and iLO's.

SUM is downloaded with the Service Pack for ProLiant ISO:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/spp/index.html

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Kristian_Leth
Advisor

Hello.

We choosed to only update the OA.

We did use the smart installer, and all seemed just fine - untill the end.

Then i got this error:

====== HP Smart Update Manager Installation Log ======

Thu Jul 18 15:38:51 2013 >>>>>> Session Started <<<<<< Thu Jul 18 15:38:51 2013 Connecting to OA, please wait...

Thu Jul 18 15:39:13 2013 Updating OA firmware to version 3.70 ... Thu Jul 18 15:39:13 2013 Checking OA status ... Thu Jul 18 15:39:13 2013 Uploading firmware ... Thu Jul 18 15:54:27 2013 HPSUM_OA_ERR:1015:Connection with Onboard Administrator ended unexpectedly. Verify the target device can be accessed and it is working properly.

Why?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Could be a timeout issue.

Can you connect to OA?

Go to the rack firmware page and check.

In general you should first update the servers driver and stuff, the server firmware including ILO (from SPP), the OA and interconnects.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Kristian_Leth
Advisor

Hello.

I can easily access the OA, and also seethe Rack Firmware page.

The reason for why we want to update the OA firmware, is due to the Fan issue that was fixes in version 3.6x.

(Were the fans are reported failed in the OA, but is still functional if you check on it psycical).

So we need to update all other bundles before we can update the OA or?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You better update to a supported release set, for example all components included in SPP 2013.02.

There are many different ways to do it.

I would first start SPP 2013.02 on a PC and discover the OA. Update the ILOs only first. The discover the server OS instances and update. Last but not least discover the OA again and update.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Kristian_Leth
Advisor

Hello.

Im new to this - what is a supported release set? isnt is the same as the Smart Updater?

And where can i find this Supported Release Set?
Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

Yes - the newest SPP - http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/service_packs/en/index.html.  Did you update the iLO and then the OA?  Or just try to do the OA?  What level is your iLO firmware at?

You can also get the .BIN from here - http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=1842750&prodNameId=3288156&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-8711b85c643b4ef5bfc512c207&mode=3.  After you have that you can use the Firmware Update option from the OA, under Enclosure Settings, Active/Standby OA.