1752800 Members
5515 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C7000 & BL460c units getting APIPA only

Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

C7000 & BL460c units getting APIPA only

I have a C7000 enclosure on its own subnet. It is populated with a mix of 10 BL460c G1/G5 blades.

The interconnect bays 1,2,5,6,7,8 have HP 1/10Gb VC-Enet Modules. Bays 3,4 have HP 4Gb VC-FC Modules.

The blades are running W2K8 or W2K8 r2. All blades, when rebooted or /release /renew, get APIPA addresses. They send out broadcasts to try to find the DHCP, but get nothing in reply.

The blades with APIPA can communicate between one another within the enclosure. If manually configured to the proper subnet and gateway with a static IP, the blades can again get out onto the internet & the other subnets I have setup.

What would you suspect is the issue?

Thanks,

-Aaron

4 REPLIES 4
UK-Blr
Frequent Advisor

which firmware level you are running/.
Is it really BL460G5? or 460 G1 and G6.?
UK-Blr
Frequent Advisor

which firmware level you are running/.
Is it really BL460G5? or 460 G1 and G6.?.

If possible, would it tried with removing all the blades in teh enclosure and run the ebipa again?.

When you remove the servers, do not connect it back for atleat 3-4 minutes
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

APIPA and EBIPA is not the same =). So You must have lots of mezzazine cards installed ? If there is FC HBA too, you can't even reach all the ethernet modules from bl460 servers. I would like to know your network setup in the blade side.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

I'm aware APIPA and EBIPA are not the same.
The blades were not assigned EBIPA addresses, just their ILO modules, which connected to the network fine. The blades couldn't find the DHCP server as apparently the IP helper from a router lost the entry to point them to the proper subnet with the DHCP server. (I hate it when stuff breaks in my lab and I dont have the policy priviledge to look into it and fix it xP)

You're correct that most of the servers cannot reach the bay7&8 VC-Enet modules. A couple blades do have the Quad Nic Mezzanine module in addition to a standard qlogic fibre mezzanine card.

We use VC quite a bit, so there is no overarching simplification of the internal network on the enclosure.

Anyways, the short:

Problem fixed, find the DHCP server.