5445 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

c7000 configuration and connectivity with Inter-connects

ausiee
Occasional Advisor

c7000 configuration and connectivity with Inter-connects

Hi All,

I have recently bought c7000 elcosure with 4 X BL-460c G6 [HH] blades. I have 2 x Virtual Connect Ethernet Modules and 1 x Brocade 8Gb SAN Switch 8/12c -12.

I have connected the enclosure to the LAN switch and configured the OA.

I have also provided IP to the brocade switch and tested by logging on through OA.

Now - what I am unable to understand it how to connect the SAN Switch to the bl-460 blades because when I looged on the brocade SAN switch, I am unable to see any connectivity on the internal ports i.e. 1-16.

Also, how am I supposed to connect the VC Ethernet Modules to the LAN switches to provide IP address to the bl-460 blades?

I know I asked a lot but please help me clear my views?

Thanks a lot.
4 REPLIES 4
Benoy Daniel
Trusted Contributor

Re: c7000 configuration and connectivity with Inter-connects

Once you configured OA, you may be already configured VC module as well. Next you need to login to VC module and create a server profile and assign LAN ports to the server. Also SAN ports will be assigned automatically.
ausiee
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your response.

How can I logon to VC etherney module?

Also, I am unable to understand how to connect the SAN Switch to the bl-460 blades OR c7000 enclosure because when I logged on the Brocade 8Gb inter-connect SAN switch through OA, I am unable to see any connectivity on the internal ports i.e. 1-16.

kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi,

i think you are missing some of the basics here, wouldn't hurt to read some of the manuals available on the web before starting to setup this kind of configuration successfully. No offence intended but you might end up with lot of questions this way.

To answer you specific question now:

- in the OA web GUI there is a hyperlink at the bottom (left pane) to the VC manager, if you go to this link, then you are logging on to the VC Ethernet module. This is simply where the VC manager firmware lives, so logging on to the VC manager is the same as logging on to the VC Ethernet module.
The user and password are on the white label attached to the VC Ethernet module (no pass thru logon from OA).

- as mentioned before, go through the steps to setup your VC configuration and create some server profiles and you'll be a good step ahead.

- no need to go and check the Brocade SAN switch yet, do the VC setup first. NOte that because there is only one SAN interconnect, you will only have one port from each server blade on the Brocade switch, for redundancy you need a second SAN interconnect (i.e. Brocade like you have choosen now).

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodClassId=-1&contentType=SupportManual&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3201263

http://www.techhead.co.uk/book-free-dummies-guide-to-hp-virtual-connect

HTH

Kris
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Note also, the SAN switch you have selected is NOT (to my knowledge) a VC FC device, therefore it cannot be configured through VCM.

When setting up the VC Manager, skip the FC Setup Wizard, or opt to use the native WWID's on the HBA's, (do not select Virtual WWIDs).

Finally, check the c7000 Port Mapping diagrams to ensure that the SAN switch is in the appropriate Interconnect bay, to be able to talk to whichever Mezzanine port you have placed your HBA(s). (Must be the same Mezz port on all of your servers)

HTH

Dave.