1753501 Members
3693 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: c7000 Local LAN Setup

Darren Sprenger
Occasional Contributor

c7000 Local LAN Setup

I want to setup a local LAN so that all blade servers (BL460c) can communicate with each other using the local (private) LAN. The LAN is not routable outside the chassis. I defined the network, added port 2 of each of the blades to the network and configured eth1 on each blade with a private IP address. However, I am not able to ping across the network.
6 REPLIES 6
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Darren,

It may seem counterintuitive but you do NOT want to check the box for "Private Network" when defining this network. That checkbox forces all traffic from the blades to exit the enclosure.

Make sure this box is unchecked and also make sure there are no external uplink ports defined for this network.

Good luck!
Darren Sprenger
Occasional Contributor

I verified that the private network box was not checked.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

I might be getting ahead of myself... I assumed you were using Virtual Connect modules for your network configuration. If this is right, all you typically need to do is define a network with no external uplink ports assigned to it, create and assign server profiles with the defined network listed, then set the server NICs with an IP in the same subnet, with the same subnet mask and with no default gateway.

Do you have any errors showing on the server profiles page? Can you communicate blade-to-blade if you disable eth0?
Darren Sprenger
Occasional Contributor

Yes I am using VCs. I setup a network called Private-Network, left the Private Network box unchecked and did not specify any uplink ports. The server profiles already existed so I assigned the 2nd NIC to Private-Network on all servers. After that I enabled eth1 on all blades, validated the MAC address and assigned an IP address and did not configure a gateway. I have checked and re-checked the IP configuration and route configuration and all look OK. Unfortunately I can't take down eth0 as they are currently running traffic.
c3_1
Advisor

Do you have two VCs in bay 1 and bay 2? eth1 will map to bay 2.
HEM_2
Honored Contributor

Darren,

everything sounds like it is configured correctly.

Do you have VC Flex10 modules or 1/10?

If you go in to VC Manager and go to Hardware Overview -> Interconnect Bays -> Bay 2. If you look at the Server Port Information, does it show the ports as Linked or Not Linked?