BladeSystem - General
1752800 Members
6127 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C7000, virtual connect firmware update questions & BL460G7 in existing chassis

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

C7000, virtual connect firmware update questions & BL460G7 in existing chassis

We have a C7000 chassis with 6 BL465G5 blades. We have four of the 8/20 non-flex10 Ethernet virtual connect interconnects, and two of the 4 port fiber channel VC interconnects. The systems have been running for a year or two with no problems. We are running ILO 1.81 on all the blades, 3.00 on the OA, and 2.33 on the Virtual connect.
WeтАЩve just received some 460G7тАЩs for a new project. We also have some more G7тАЩs coming in soon.
Two of the G7 blades were put into the chassis. They were recognized by the OA and the hardware on them showed up correctly, and we were able to start up get into the bladeтАЩs BIOS, but when we tried to assign a virtual connect profile, the VC GUI said тАЬfailedтАЭ. Now, we can access them through ILO, they show up in the OA GUI, but they wonтАЩt power up. Even putting them in a device bay with no virtual connect config still wonтАЩt allow them to power on.
IтАЩm assuming this is due to a firmware mismatch. If I get the OA and VC modules to the current firmware, should the blades start functioning OK? Should I remove the batteries from the new blades and let them wipe the BIOS?

In that same line, whatтАЩs the best way to update the firmware with minimal (or no) disruption? We have redundant connections to the virtual connection modules, so as long as they donтАЩt all go at the same time, our servers would continue to work OK.

A long time back, right after we got the C7000, I recall doing a firmware update that walked through each module one at a time and updated it. However, I donтАЩt recall what process I used, although I thought it was through the virtual connect GUI.

The last time I did a firmware update (last year), I used the command line utility (VCSU?). I remember going through the steps, and thought I told it to do the modules odd then even, but it ended up taking all the interconnects down at the same time. Not a good thing (at least it was on a maintenance window!)

Finally, what is the correct sequence to update firmware on the OA, VC, ILO, and blades?

Any information would be appreciated.
Mike O.
6 REPLIES 6
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: C7000, virtual connect firmware update questions & BL460G7 in existing chassis

This issue has answered several times here. Download HP bladesystem FW update best practices guide

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02049593/c02049593.pdf

G7 blades need new firmwares
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Thank you for the information. I do recall seeing that guide before, but I had forgotton about it. We only have two C7000 units, so I haven't had to mess with the firmware much.

From what I'm seeing in the guide, I have two ways to update the VC firmware:
Using the VCSU (command line)
Using the SUM (GUI) mode

Since we're only doing one chassis, it sounds like the GUI based SUM would be easiest, especailly since it says SUM has the logic to do the things in the correct order to minimize downtime.

The VCSU is what I did last year. I thought I had created the command properly to take the modules odd then even, however it took all modules down at the same time.

Also, something I noticed in the guide. Under scenario 3A, updating VC using VCSU, there is a note that says "if the firmware is earlier than version 1.34 a network downtime of up to 10 minutes can occur.

However, under scenario 3B, updating using HP SUM, in a couple of places it says if the firmware is LATER than version 1.34 a network downtime of up to 10 minutes can occur"..

scenario 3C says you may get the outatge if the VC firmware is "earlier than 1.34".

Is the outage when the existing firmware is earlier or later than 1.34?
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

VSCU is the _ONLY_ supported upgrade method. GUI does not work anymore.

Use the latest version 1.5.1

FC modules need to be restarted manually once after upgrade (fabric outage) but there should not be long network outages.

Mike O.
Regular Advisor

I realize the virtual connect GUI can't be used to update the firmware. I was referring to using the HP SUM GUI ("scenario 3B") in "Firmware Management Best Practices" guide.

JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Yes, You are correct did not notice SUM =)

VCSU will do it in correct order also, verify domain health, take config backup etc. automatically.

in new version there is "interactive" mode for single domain update.

Mike O.
Regular Advisor

All of our virtual connect modules are redundant, and we have multiple connections to our external switches.
Whether we use VCSU or the SUM utility, can the update be done so that only one module is out of service at a time and we have no downtime? That's what I wanted to do last year, with the VCSU, but it took all the modules out at the same time. It wasn't very long, but the blades did lose all connections.

Can you give me any suggestions on using VCSU to accomplish what I'm trying to do (since I obviously messed it up last year)?

Thanks.

Mike O.