1753848 Members
8491 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Changing Module positions in the back of C- Class Chassis

ssbrown19
Occasional Contributor

Changing Module positions in the back of C- Class Chassis

We have 2 C Class blade chassis and 2 HP EVA SAN's, in the rear of the hp chassis we have 4 Cisco switches and 2 brocade modules to connect the fibre to the san, we bought the blade / san's several months apart as we wanted to setup a failover vmware environment. unfortunatly the positions of the modules at the rear of the chassis dont mirror each other (from top to bottom we have cisco / brocade / cisco) and in the second one we have cisco / cisco / brocade) my question is if i brought the relevent blade servers down and changed the positions of the brocades would the san disks (and more importantly the data!) still be presented to the servers? or would i need to move the data (possibly to local storage), re present and move the data back? (obviously i would need to move the mezzanine cards in the rear of the blade servers where applicable)

If anyone has tried this i would be grateful for advice / do's and dont's

As always many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Simon
2 REPLIES 2
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: Changing Module positions in the back of C- Class Chassis

Take a look at this document, page 6.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01096654/c01096654.pdf

Integrated NICs are connected to bays 1 & 2
Mezzanine 1 is connected to bays 3 & 4
Mezzanine 2 is connected to bays 5 & 6

The kind of mezzanine (ethernet / fiber channel) and the kind of switch on the back should match. Right now you must have a mismatch on one side or the other.

The definition of the hosts on the EVA is done by the WWN of the FC mezzanine on each blade, so changing the position of the switch or mezzanine does not interrupt the access to disks (as long as zoning is OK).
ssbrown19
Occasional Contributor

Re: Changing Module positions in the back of C- Class Chassis

Thanks for the infomation, we powered down the blades, moved the mezzanine cards where applicable, powered off the blade chassis and moved the switches / brocade and powered back on, each blade came up and the san storage / networking was fine