1752777 Members
6310 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Configuring a gbe2c switch for redundancy with bonding / teaming

B Cave
Advisor

Configuring a gbe2c switch for redundancy with bonding / teaming

Hi there, I am busy configuring a c7000 for network redundancy. I have 2 gbe2c ethernet switches (not the layer 2/3 type)in IC bays 1 & 2. there are a number of blades running Redhat based OS, and have configured onboard nic's with channel bonding in active-passive config (i.e. primary card is active, secondary is inactive until failure is detected).

In this configuration, if 1 blade switches to secondary nic, it will loose connectivity, as there is no link between the 2 switches.

When using the layer 2/3 switches, it is possible to link them by enabling ports 17 & 18 it will resolve this issue.

2 questions:
1) If using layer 2/3 switches, would i have to configure spanning tree on switches only? (to avoid congestion and rebroadcasting of traffic)
2) If using the gbe2c blade switch (no layer 3), how would i configure cross connection? Do i need to run a physical cable between the 2, or is there a way to manage the devices?
3 REPLIES 3
B Cave
Advisor

Re: Configuring a gbe2c switch for redundancy with bonding / teaming

Couldnt access cli / bbi, had to reset switch to get it up, so now I am on the management interface.

Still a little uncertain about stp stuff - know all the principles behind it, but this is the first time i need to implement it :)
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

For Q2

You can enable a port 17/18 connection between the GbE2c switches - that function is not restricted to the Layer 2/3 version.

To manage the devices you need to give them an IP in the EBIPA - Interconnect setting in the OA (if they dont have one already)
B Cave
Advisor

would enabling 17 & 18 on both switches require spanning tree, if it is only the 2 switches that are connected to each other?