5498 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Detecting HBAs in Blade Servers

rianui
Trusted Contributor

Detecting HBAs in Blade Servers

Hello Gurus,

I have a blade enclosure c7000 with BL 460c and BL480c servers. Some servers have Windows 2003, some 2008 32 bit and others 2008 64 bit OSs and all have HBAs installed on the mezzanine slots. I have installed Data Protector 6.1 on one 2003 server and I'm trying to configure all other clients to backup using fiber channel connections as opposed to going through the cell manager. Unfortunately, I can only see the library and tape drives on two of the eight blade servers under device manager. How do I see the tapes under other servers?
I have already configured the Network Storage Router to 'auto-assign' under Mapping.

Rianui

7 REPLIES 7
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Have You zoned your SAN switches correctly ? You must zone server HBA port and the tape drive
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
rianui
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jarkko,

I have not done any zoning.
Is it a must that I do it to access the other servers' HBAs?

Rianui
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

If you want blades to backup using the fibre connections then they need to see the backup device. And to see the backup device they need to be zoned to see it.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Like I said... no zoning in SAN switches... no visibility with servers and tapedrive (if it's FC attached).

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Since 2 of the servers can see the library, then one can assume that zoning is already in place for at least those 2 servers.

For the other servers you WILL need to add zones so that they too can access the tape library.

What SAN Switches do you have in the enclosure? or if you have pass-throughs, what SAN Switches to you have in your environment? Brocade? Cisco?

Zoning is easy to do, and necessary for 1. resource access (in an environment already configured with zoning), 2. more reliable communications between your devices (assuming you follow best practices while configuring your zones/zoneset(s)) and 3. security.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Maybe there is a person in Your site who manages SAN and/or storages. Maybe You could ask him to do the zoning.

rianui
Trusted Contributor

Hello gurus,

Thank you very much for your responses.

Jarkko,
I will be doing the zoning and like Steven said said, I want to follow the best practice.

Steven,
No zoning is in place yet.
The switches are Brocade (swd77)

Also, I didn't know whether to open a new thread for this error so I just put it here. While using evaluation licenses I could do backups but as soon as I added the licenses I now get this error:
License not available "On-line Extension for ONE Windows / Linux system"

Before this I had got an error about not havingOpen File Manager license. I installed OFM and added the license. I then restarted and started OFM but now get this error:
Open file driver did not start, a reboot is required.

I hope this is not confusing.
Kindly assist.

Rianui