1752352 Members
5572 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disable unused embedded NICs

Daniel Ryan2
Occasional Contributor

Disable unused embedded NICs

I have a C7000 enclosure with BL460c G6 servers installed. I am running VMware ESXi 4.0 update2 on some of these hosts. I want to diable two of the network ports on the embedded nics as HP SIM is showing a Major health alert on these ports. The ports are not required for production.

Can you please advise how to disable the ports, or how to set an ignore on the HP SIM health alert?
6 REPLIES 6
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Daniel,

You may disable the embedded NICs from system bios (RBSU)

to access RBSU, press F9 during boot. however, make sure you have latest system bios to avoid any issues after disabling the NICs.

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Daniel Ryan2
Occasional Contributor

I can only disable th Network card in the RBSU not the individual ports. I only want to disable two ports on one card and not the entire card...
Leo Plewa
Advisor

Hello,

please see the following link.
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1449069
Your problem is covered there.

Regards
Daniel Ryan2
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately the content of the advice in the link provided does not work. Despite including the requested text in the rc.local file the health warning re-appears.
Thanks
Shashwath_1
Occasional Advisor

HI...

We you cant disable the physical NIC port in the hardware level. i would suggest you to disable in the OS level. If it is ESX then you can create V-NIC and disable the NIC Port.

Regards,
Shashwath
dgerol
Occasional Advisor

I have managed to do this by defining new networks in VCM named "Unused NICs_1", Unused NICs_2" etc. These networks are internal only and are not presented to the SUS.

When you create your VC Server Profile, connect any unused NICs to these networks. The OS will still see them, but they will be "connected" and therefore will not cause a "link down" notification in SMH or SIM.

The only caveat is that you can't have two flex-nics on the same LOM connected to the same network.

This solution, while not as nice as disabling specific flex-nics, works for me because it is OS agnostic.

For non-blades (DL380), if there are any physical ports unused, I copnnect a crossover cable between them so as to get a link light.