New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enclosure Queries

SOLVED
Go to solution
UselessUser
Frequent Advisor

Enclosure Queries

Hi,

I posted a message which has led me really running around!

Basically I am now trying to get the gist of the whole setup, as I thought I had it down...

My understanding...

With the c7000 and c3000 chassis, the mappings for the mezzanine adapters go to various interconnect bays and this cannot be changed.

What can go where seems to be dictated by the mezzanine slot type (1 or 2), and also something known as:

The term "1x/2x" refers to the number of interconnect lanes per port provided by the controller. The more
lanes provided per port, the higher the data transmission rate coming from that port.

This is taken from the c7000 enclosure setup...

Where is this value specified (I thought it meant PCI Express lanes at first?, but it does not appear to be) and also what is this single wide/double wide description given in this guide?

Also my last question relates back to my original post...

If I want 6 NIC's per blade, I will need VC-Ethernet modules in bays 1,2,5,6,7,8... I take it there is no way around this in any way?

Also I understand bays 1 and 2 are joined internally, as are 5 and 6, and also 7 and 8 so if a link attached to bay 1 fails, it can use a link in bay 2...

Also all the diagrams give the impression that for example, the onboard NIC's on a half-height blade in a c7000 chassis connect to both bays 1 and 2 (So you could just have one VC-Ethernet module) - and from it have access to both NIC's??
2 REPLIES 2
c3_1
Advisor

Alot depends on which module you have. The only one with fixed port mapping is pass-thur. Have you looked at the VC management console and checked your server profile?

Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor
Solution

Attached is a much better diagram than some of the others HP do. You should understand everything better using this one.

Yes if you want 6 NICs you need Flex10 and 10GB blades or a quad port card and 6 VC-Eth in 1,2,5,6,7,8.

There is no automatic network link between 1,2 etc. It still needs to be configured within the switch to use the ports allocated to these cross links.