1753776 Members
7194 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Failing to upgrade NIC driver on two DL380s with NC373i and NC380T adapters

David Standish
Occasional Contributor

Failing to upgrade NIC driver on two DL380s with NC373i and NC380T adapters

We've just finished deploying upgraded NIC drivers to our test and production environment and out of over 50 servers, two DL380 servers in production failed to update - they blue screened during the update process and then failed to boot on subsequent restarts. We went back to Last Known Good and got the servers back up, but now I'm trying to figure out how to get them upgraded.

The servers both have NC373i and NC380T NICs. After attempting to upgrade again with no success, we have reverted back to to 4.1.3.0 but I really need to figure this out. After a failed upgrade, when I look in Device Manager on the Properties of each network adapter, on the Drivers tab, I see Driver version 4.1.3.0, but when I click Driver Details, I see 4.6.16.0. On the other successful servers, these verions match.

I tried the suggestion below that was outlined in another post with no success.

Hi, please follow the steps in sequential order.

1) Update the Nic FW from the following link:

2) Download the latest driver for the NC373i and save it into a temporary folder for later use.

3) Download the latest NCU version and save it into a temporary folder for later use.

4) Uninstall NCU . How? Go to Control Panel - Network Conections - Rigth click on your network adapter/conection - Properties - Highlight HP Network Configuration Utility - Click Unistall

5) Go to the device manager and right click on the NIC device and select Uninstall

6) Go to Start > Programs > Accesories > System Tools > System Information.

7) On the left side click on the + sign to expand the menu > Click on the + sign to expand Network menu > click on adapter.

8) On the right page look for the HP NC31xx Fast Ethernet NIC Driver location. Copy the driver location and then go to the folder where the driver resides and manually delete it.

9) Reboot the server and stop windows driver installation. If it prompts for you to choose the new driver cancel all request and get into windows, once there install the driver from the .exe file that you downloaded.

10) Reboot the server. By now you should be able to use the NIC card.

11) Install the latest NCU.

12) Re-team (if being used)

At this point - the NCU is not installed. Any further tips on resolving this?