108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware update failure on Virtual Connect 4Gb FC Module

SOLVED
Go to solution
wedgecon
Occasional Advisor

Firmware update failure on Virtual Connect 4Gb FC Module

I have been trying to update my VC 4GB FC module and it is failing. I am trying to upgrade form version 1.30 to 1.40. I have attached a log of the update process. I was using the VCSU to perform the update.

This is the command I used:

vcutil -a update -i 10.1.50.55 -u User -p pass -l C:\HP\vcfwe1f232.bin -b 4 -vcu User -vcp pass
15 REPLIES 15
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Re: Firmware update failure on Virtual Connect 4Gb FC Module

I have had this happen to me. Note that the error was "failure to activate", (implying that the firmware load was OK).

I resolved the issue by removing the module and re-inserting it, thus forcing a "cold" reboot. This activated the new firmware image which was "loaded" by vcsu.

From your post it appears that you only have one FC module in bay 4 (??). If this is the case, then you might want to do this during downtime. (if you have two then it depends on your configuration).

Note: when you remove the FC module, it will disappear from the OA, and will be rediscovered when you replace it, although this might take several minutes. Also, although the new FW version (1.4) shows up in my OA firmware page, the VCM does not show the FC firmware level.

Anyway HTH

Dave
wedgecon
Occasional Advisor

I do have a second FC module in bay 3 so I am fully redundant.

I was jus trying to only do one at a time by using the -b option. I get the same results in both bays.

I hate the idea of pulling out the bay, is there any other way to reset them?

Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Make sure you are not running the firmware update from a machine with an FTP server running. I think that causes problems with the VC-FC updates.
wedgecon
Occasional Advisor

No worries there I was able to update the ethernet VC's with no problem on this C7000.

I have another C7000 that was able to update both the ethernet and fc vc's. The differene being is that the fc on this C7000 were not yet connected to the SAN.

Michal N.
Advisor

Hello,

Try to update FW using following command:
vcutil -a update -i 10.1.50.55 -u User -p pass -l C:\HP\vcfwe1f232.bin -b 4 -vcu User -vcp pass -f health

If it failes again can you please execute following command and provide us with output:

vcutil -a healthcheck -i 10.1.50.55 -u User -p pass -vcu User -vcp pass

Regards,
Michal
wedgecon
Occasional Advisor

The update failed agian. I have attached the failed and helath check output files.
wedgecon
Occasional Advisor

Here is the failed output.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

I am getting the same error.

I got the error when trying to upgrade from 1.30 to 1.40. HP swapped the module and the "new" module is at 1.11. This still gives the same error.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1421718

Dave.
Michal N.
Advisor
Solution

Hello,

Please try the following:
1. Pull VCFC module out of the enclosure wait for at least 5 minutes, then reinsert it.
2. Failover OA module (active to standby) from OA web interface. Wait for 5 minutes.
3. Upgrade the VCFC firmware using VCSU.

If that does not work try to:
1. VCSU -a resetvcm -i -u -p
2. failover OA
3. Upgrade FW using VCSU

Regards,
Michal