108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Flex-10 interconnect 10G uplink questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Flex-10 interconnect 10G uplink questions

We've recently replaced two of our virtual connect 1/10Gb Ethernet modules with the Flex-10 modules and I have a couple of questions about some of the connections.

The CX4 (X1) connection on each module is being used to connect to the 1/10 module below it (I've left the SFP out of the X1 port). What I'm wondering about is the x7 and x8 connections.

What we're looking to do set up 10G uplink to our network switches. I've got the SFP+ 10G fiber module and I'm trying to figure which port would be the best one to use for the uplink.

According to the documentation, X7 and X8 are also used for the horizontal cross connect. I realize we would need to keep at least one of the SFP modules empty to keep a horizontal connection available, but is there a reason (or advantage) to keep both horizontal links live?

We're currently using x2-x5 for 1G ethernet. Can/should I use X6 for the 10G uplink, leaving both x7 and x8 open, or would it better to use x7 or x8 for the 10g Uplink?

Also, whichever port is used for the 10g uplink, can we have an "uplink set" with the 10g and a 4 port 1g/LACP group in the same set? The idea being that with the connection type "auto", the 10g would be the primary one, with the 1G(s) as standby, but if the 10g fails, the 1G would take over.

4 REPLIES 4
Frank Gessner
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Mike,
you have a Configuration with two redundant Flex10-Modules in Slot 1&2. Then its recommended to leave X7&8 as redundant interconnect between this modules. X1 is the stacking connection to other VC-modules, which leaves x3 to 6 for the uplinks. Each port has the same characteristics, it doesnt depend which one to use for 10G-SFP. A LACP(auto) Connection should work if the corresponding switch supports this.

regards, Frank
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Thanks. You mention "x3 to 6 for uplinks", do you mean "x2-6"? X1 is shared with the CX4 connection and x7 an x8 are the cross module connections, but there's nothing special about X2, is there?
Frank Gessner
Frequent Advisor

was a typo, x2-x6 = correct
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Thanks. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure if I was missing something.