1748244 Members
4018 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Flex 10 transfer speeds

Izula
Advisor

I thought about that today and I am trying it now but it looks to give about the same results.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Is that bare iron talking to the Equallogic or a guest?

Some really pedantic questions, but the topology goes 10G from the chassis to the 5400, and 8x1G links directly from the same 5400 to the equallogic device right? And there is not even the physical possibility that some other uplink besides the port with the CX4 running at 10G is in use to the 5400?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Izula
Advisor

There should be nothing else on the CX4 link, we just installed them for this project and have no other CX4 devices.

I have tested both a bare iron computer running windows and a Blade with ESX running windows and both gave about the same results.

rick jones
Honored Contributor

Are there no other uplinks from the Flex-10 module at all?

Do the port stats on the 5400 for its CX4 port show traffic when you are running the tests?
Izula
Advisor

Correct on both accounts, the only connection out from the Virtual Connect is one CX4 cable per Virtual Connect Module.

Yes the CX4 ports show traffic on the ports when doing the tests.

rick jones
Honored Contributor

And how about the 1G ports to the equallogics (four active per yes?) - how many are showing traffic when you test from the blade(s)? Check both inbound and outbound if you can.

Other pseudo-random questions - what are the specific IP and MAC addresses involved? I don't know the details of the packet scheduling algorithm(s) in the 5400 but someone else watching might and knowing the addressing involved would be helpful.
HEM_2
Honored Contributor

page 12-37 here:

http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/3500-5400-6200-6600-8200-MCG-Sept09-12-PortTrunk.pdf

talks about the traffic distribution algorithm for trunks on the Procurve 5400.

basically, for IP traffic it uses the last 5 bits of the source and destination IP address to determine which link to use.
Izula
Advisor

Yes the Equallogic has 4 active ports per unit and we have 2 units so we have 8 active ports plugged into 1Gb ports on the switch.

When I run testes on the storage I see traffic on all of them.
DaveNCPA
Visitor

Hey guys please keep in mind the the 5400 series and 8200 series switches even though they have cards in them with 4 10gbe ports your only sharing 28.8gb per slot.....

gbic slots 1 and 4 share a 14.4gb channel and 2 and 3 share another, so in practice your 10gbe connections in slots 1 and 4 are only 7.2gb a piece at max, if you want the full 10gbe uplink you either have to leave slot 4 empty.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/faqs/8212zl.htm#questionACC4

scroll down to about 2/3rds of the page