1752803 Members
5131 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Four Blades (Bay1-Bay4) powered down, Bay5-Bay13 OK

Luis J. Fern├бndez
Occasional Advisor

Four Blades (Bay1-Bay4) powered down, Bay5-Bay13 OK

I have a p-class enclosure with 4 BL25p in Bay1, 2 3 and 4 and with two BL35p in Bay9 and Bay13.
Tonight the four BL25p have powered down and in the meantime the two BL35p were powered up.
I dont know if a input power failed happened but nobody have powered it off.
IML Log and ILO Logs say:
"Server power removed Slot 1" (2, 3 and 4)
"Power Enclosure Power Supplies not redundant (in breaker, enclosure serial number XXX)"
"Server Blade Enclosure inadequate power to power on. Lost redundant Power"
Removing and reinserting the four Blades solved the problem and now they are working fine.
Firmware revisions are not at last version (2.30), but these have not been false alarms. It has been true.
The enclosure has 6 power supplies in an 1U enclosure.
If a input electrical line fails:
Have the other 3 power supplies to mantain power in all the enclosure?
I think the answer is YES.
So, what can be wrong?
2 REPLIES 2
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

as far as i remember, with enhanced enclosure power backplane side A and side B provide power for the whole enclosure.
With standard , A is for the left side, B for the right?!
But in your case then bays 9-12 should have been powwered down also.
What could have happened is that if one of the electrical lines failed for short time that the 3 PSUs weren't able t provide power to all blades and some were powered down.

Luis J. Fern├бndez
Occasional Advisor

Hello and thaks for your answer.
I think that this is an enhanced enclosure (it has only one ILO Port) and Power enclosure is 1U.
I think that this power enclosure is always for the whole enclosure. 3U Power enclosure with standard blades enclosure has A for left side and B for right side and you have to put two 3U power enclosures with input AC lines crossed.
Bays 9-12 have been powered down also, but BL25p is a dual bay server, so bay 1 and 9 are polulated for Blade1 and so on.
I think too that AC line A has failed and AC line B with the three power supplies have not be able to support 4 BL25p + 2 BL35p.
So, the question is:
Is there redundancy against an AC input fail with one 1U power supply enclosure with 6 power supplies?
If not, what is the solution to gain redundancy?