5528 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: GBE2 to one uplink switch

Branislav Kopun
Occasional Advisor

GBE2 to one uplink switch

Hello,

I'm using 5 blade servers with two GBE2 switches.
On this GBE2 switches I reserved port 20 as uplink port. This port is connected to Cisco switch 2960. All servers are on the same network, so I'm using only default VLAN. I don't use interconnect between GBE2 switches.
Is it correct to connect two uplinks to one switch(I would like to escape network loop)? Should I setup trunking or anything like this?
Which is the best teaming mode for my environment - 2 GBE2 -> 1 switch?
Many thanks,

Branislav
4 REPLIES 4
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Ports 17 and 18 are the interconnects between both switches, and they come disabled by default. Enabling them allows one switch to access the NICs that are physically connected to the other switch.
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00701541/c00701541.pdf
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Straight-through
Topology 3 is a ├в straight-through├в design providing a simplified architecture with maximum throughput (Figure 4). Spanning tree protocol is not required further simplifying this configuration. However, this topology has reduced availability; certain failures can cause partial to total loss of service with the greater possibility of a performance bottleneck.
The GbE2c Ethernet Blade Switch crosslinks are enabled in this configuration. These Gigabit Ethernet links permit management of both switches and access to all c-Class BladeSystem server NICs from any single GbE2c Ethernet Blade Switch uplink. The crosslinks may be left disabled in this configuration, but it is not advised. In this case, a failure of any one switch (whether GbE2c Ethernet Blade Switch or Catalyst 6509) would cause the loss of service to one half the NICs on each ProLiant server.
Topology 3 is ideal for network administrators who desire a simplified architecture that provides high levels of performance at the expense of some availability.
Branislav Kopun
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

In this straight through design are uplinks from one GBE2 switch to one switch(6509) and from second GBE2 switch to another. Would be possible to connect uplinks from both GBE2 switches into one switch(probably as trunk)?

Thanks
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I'm not a GbE2C expert, but if the interconnect ports between them are not enabled, they would I think behave as two separate switches and you would do as you would with two separate standalone switches.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows