108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do I identify the Revision of the Power Management Controller Firmware

Nunney
Occasional Advisor

How do I identify the Revision of the Power Management Controller Firmware

Hi chaps,

CUSTOMER ADVISORY: c01668472 mentions:

immediate upgrade of the Power Management Controller Firmware on affected HP ProLiant c-Class server blades using Version 0.7 of the Power Management Controller Firmware

It then goes on to say:

The current Power Management Controller Firmware version will be identified and displayed when executing this upgrade process on the server. If the Power Management Controller Firmware version on the server is prior to version 0.6, then a message will be displayed indicating that this firmware update is not supported on the server.

Is there not another method of identifying if this firmware is required other than actually attempting to do it? And also

Where is this firmware being placed as it mentions iLo 2?

Regards.

10 REPLIES 10
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Reading the attached advisory, I believe that you just upgrade the ILo FW to 1.70.

Download the ILo fw.
Extract it.
Log on to the ILo
Select administration
Select FW upgrade
Browse to the ilo2_170.bin file
Press update.

cheers
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Nunney
Occasional Advisor

Cheers for that, although what I'm really after is a method of identifying the firmware level without actually doing it. There's over 3000 C Class Enclosures where I work, so logging onto each Server to find out what's installed is ridiculous (Love HP)
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Hi

There's a tool called HP Lights'out Migration tool (or There's a tool called HP Lights'out directories Migration tool)
That will do it for you.
I just had a short look at it this afternoon

3000 enclosures, I'm impressed :)

cheers
/jag

Accept or Kudo

ccooley
Occasional Advisor

The Article says .6 firmware or later is required to run the online update, but does not mention if .6 or later is required to update the PM formware using the ILO2 1.70 upgrade.

I experienced the 'black screen' reboot issue when rebooting a week after updating the ILO to 1.70.

I was hoping online diags would identify the PM version, but I didn't see it.
Christiaan Pretorius
Occasional Advisor

Hi

I would like to find out where I can download the Power Management Firmware for this issue as I am trying but are not winning. Is it part of the BIOS or the ILO?

Regards

Christiaam
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Its separate firmware to iLO & BIOS - at least it was last month. It used to appear under a heading "Firmware" in the drivers and firmware list. But does not appear at the moment. The firmware was version 3.4 but never actually said what it did - applying it did fix a 2003 blue screen on shutdown issue for me.

The version is also supposed to display in a a new column in the OA firmware 2.5x. For me it does on one enclosure and does not in two others. Odd.
NicR

I'm new to this, but don't you see the on the OA web page, top left, under "Rack Firmware"?

It took me awhile to find it.
J├║lio Ramos

Hi there, people,

About to see which version is running, OA must be running 2.51, and then click on "rack firmware", otherwise, that feature, is not allowed.

Second, as many have see, the customer advisory ask to do a Online ROM Flash update then ILO update, however, since i am executing the firmware maintenance 8.5, almost of mine 12 server on 1 enclosure have different behaviour (some with 0.5, one with 0.7 - Major Alarm, but system runs well, other 3.3 asking four update and other 3.3 that aren't asking for update) so i have already updated BIOS ROM and ILO, and still occurs the same, i will retry one more time, if not working, i will open a case for HP, then i will post here the solution.

BR
MatthewB_1

I've got 2 enclosures with BL465c G1s and G5s. Some of the servers are showing a "Major Degraded" status. I've called HP and they said they have pulled the Power Management Firmware Controller update from the website because it has issues.

I followed the instructions in the advisory, but the issue remained on some blades. The tech said I should reseat the blade in the enclosure, then try updating the BIOS (iLO and the OA are current). This didn't help.

I sent HP an info collection report on my server and they said it would be sent to their senior engineers who would try to come up with a workaround because the new update for the Power Management Controller Firmware would still be several weeks in development.

I will post an update if they come through with a workaround.