BladeSystem - General
1752569 Members
4943 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to connect 2 USB devices to HP Proliant BL 460G1?

p123

How to connect 2 USB devices to HP Proliant BL 460G1?

Dear people!
Tell me please how to connect 2 USB devices to HP Proliant BL 460G1?
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The blades are not really suitable for connecting external USB devices for long-term use.

The maintenance cable header that attaches to the blade's front panel has 2 USB connectors, so I don't see a problem for temporary use.

If you need more USB connections, you can always use a USB hub to split one connection into two, four or more.

MK
MK
p123

Thank you!

Information:

If you need additional cable to connect USB devices - take a look to this cable:

HP USB Server Console Cable, 6 foot, 2-Pack
NOTE: USB cable required for supporting USB peripherals.

Part number: AF613A
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Just want to be sure you are aware of the iLO2 virtual media option included with all c-class blades.
This allows you to mount a virtual floppy, CD-ROM, folder or image.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The partsurfer.hp.com describes AF613A as "HP 1x4 KVM Console 6ft USB Cable".

There is no image, but by the description I'd assume it's intended for a HP 1x4 KVM, and does not have any special utility with blade servers such as BL 460c G1.

As far as I know, there are no USB I/O modules for c-class blade enclosures. Of course, you could plug a SUV cable to the front of the blade and hang your USB devices in there, with or without AF613A... but I don't recommend it.

- The SUV cable is intended for maintenance, OS installation and other temporary use only. It is not mechanically secure enough for permanent use.

- If your server rack has a front door, using the SUV cable will most likely stop you from closing the door. The cables will protrude to the aisle between the rows of racks, and may be damaged if someone passes by too close.

- If you connect a lot of SUV cables to blades in one chassis simultaneously, the resulting mess of cables will compromise the inflow of cooling air.

The blade servers (BL series) are not really designed to take external peripherals like USB devices for permanent use. If you need USB devices with your server, a traditional (=non-blade) DL or ML series server would be more appropriate.

MK
MK
p123

Thank You very much.
Problem was solved!