4787 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to upgrade PMC firmware without an OS

SOLVED
Go to solution
ARRRG!!!!!!

how to upgrade PMC firmware without an OS

I'm looking for a bootdisk type of upgrade of the Power Management Controller to version 3.4. the iLO is complaining so I need to upgrade it. However I have no OS installed on the blade and will probably not have an (windows) OS installed natively for its slated to be a virtual server. The only upgrade packages I see only run on Windows or Linux. So how do I upgrade the PMC?
thanks
21 REPLIES 21
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi ARRRG!!!!!

Maybe you can try to run a live cd on it if you really don't want to install on OS on it.
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

how about the HP BladeSystem Firmware Deployment Tool? boot on the iso and update the firmware?

but maybe that doesn't cover the the PMC
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I'm only aware of OS based update tools for this firmware. Make sure your iLO meets the requirements!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
ARRRG!!!!!!

Thanks all,

I tried a BART boot CD to boot into Windows but unfortunately it also requires the WMI service which is not running.

Where can I find this deployment tool? When I did a search on it all it brought up was some version control agent, again for Windows.

It doesn't make sense that you need an OS to update hardware. There's got to be a way to do it.

thanks
Pete
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

ARRRG!!!!!!

Now that's what I'm talking about. Ok I'm giving this a try but it is in a never ending boot cycle. It starts to load up from the ISO for several minutes, then boots and repeats the entire process. What's going on?

thx
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

I like the username. lol

Anyway, the deployment utility doesn't seem to include the PMC firmware. It boots up, scans through the firmware packages included on disc for any applicable ones (only iLO or system ROM?) and applies them automatically before rebooting.

Naturally it will continue to do this as long as you have the disc (or virtual media) connected.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

I spoke with 2nd level support who said (predictably) that they are working on an offline flash component for the PMC but as for right now the only method is online via one of the available software packages.

ARRRG!!!!!!! indeed...
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor
Solution

Wait... There IS a way! :)

I'm sure it was just a little too complex for HP 2nd level support to explain to a shrub like me. Anyway, here's how I fudged it to work:

Visit the drivers and firmware page for your model blade. Select a version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Find the Online Flash for Linux-Power Management Controller link and click "Obtain Software." Download the SCEXE file. For my example I used the RHEL4-x86 for a BL460c G1 found here:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/doc/p2025081362/v49549/filehandler.html?path=/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-linux-fw/p874237925/v55050&files=CP011299.scexe&i=MTX-1fe26c477c354182972745f047

Boot the blade to the Firmware Maintenance CD, found here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=1842750&prodNameId=3288156&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-e3cc3c652e1046dc88f2ceecb8
Select Update Firmware after the CD boots and then choose to Add Supplemental. Add your SCEXE to a floppy or CD and use virtual media to connect it to the blade at this point. It should be able to locate the file and include it in the HP Smart Update Manager list for installation. Leave it checked and install... then away you go!

good luck... and don't forget to submit points to we helpers :)