108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp 1gb ethernet pass-thru

SOLVED
Go to solution
ilayy
Regular Advisor

hp 1gb ethernet pass-thru

hi expert i have few questions i wish if somebody can help me.
i have c3000 enclosure with hp 1gb Ethernet switch pass-thru. i want that the blade server in bay 1 communicate with blade server in bay 2
1) as the network cards of the 2 switches are connected to the same switch(pass-thru one)from the internel side they cannot communicate directly with each other without connecting them to an externel switch?
2) can i connect port 1 of the switch with related to server in bay 1 with a cross cable to port 2 witch is related to blade server in bay 2 direclty? i mean connecting 2 ports on the same switch by a cable?

i really need your help thanks
5 REPLIES 5
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

1) With pass-through, no they can not communicate each other

2) I am not sure if that works. I remember that You need a proper switch to connect the ports from pass-throug module.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi

Hi,

I dont understand if you have an ethernet pass-thru or ethernet switch.

If you have an ethernet pass-thru module you only need connec a crossover wire in the ports that you need such as a cluster.

If you have a ethernet switch you only needs to create a vlan for the specific ports that you want.

SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you have a pass through you can use a cross cable. But remember, for outside communication, you may configure an other port..

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

PS: The Pass-thru is not a switch. Thats why its called "pass-thru"

And there are plenty of people using crossover cables between server ports on same or different pass-thru for cluster heartbeats, DMZs etc.
ilayy
Regular Advisor

thanks for your help it works