4841 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 7000C how to configure network port mapping

The Brit
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 7000C how to configure network port mapping

Hi Jed,

First, Mezzanine slots: If you open up your half-height blades, you will see that there are 2 Mezzanine slots available (in full height blades there are 3 Mezzanine slots). If you look at the basic blade, half-heights have 2 onboard ethernet NICs (LOM's), and full height blades have 4 LOMs (ignore the "Flex" components since you dont have them). None of the basic blades provide any FC HBA ports, these have to be added. The purpose of the Mezzanine slots is to provide a way of adding additional ports to you server blade.

2. As we discussed yesterday, the connections (i.e. downlinks) between the server blades and the IC Modules are HARD wired, and cannot be altered or worked around. So, for half-height blades,

Onboard NICS map to IC Bays 1 & 2.
Mezz 1 maps to IC Bays 3 & 4
Mezz 2 maps to IC Bays 5 & 6 (if it is a dual port card), and also 7 & 8 if it is a (quad port card)

The configuration of your blade mezzanine slots must be identical (or at least compatible) in all of the blades installed in the enclosure, because they all share the same set of IC modules. In other words, whatever you put in the Mezzanine slots determines (or limits) what you can put in the corresponding IC Bays. There are currently ~10-12 available options for Mezzanine cards (try Google "HP Bladesystem Mezzanine Cards).

With your current configuration, (using pass-thru's), you have the simplest and cheapest option, but also the most limiting. You currently have 4 Ethernet Ports and 2 FC ports available to you. For a relatively small investment (and some reconfiguration) you could increase that to 6 NICs and 2 HBAs. You would however, need to have a pair of hands on-site to do the physical work.

If you remain as you are, you should be able to configure an acceptable, functional ESX setup, however you will probably have to either abandon NIC teaming, or have each NIC assigned to multiple functions.

I am sure that there are ESX experts on this forum who can give you advice in that area.

Maybe start a new thread just on that topic.

HTH

Jedda
Occasional Advisor

First of all thanks for explaining me in simple way. :)
What would be small investment? to get 6 nic?
For a relatively small investment (and some reconfiguration) you could increase that to 6 NICs and 2 HBAs. You would however, need to have a pair of hands on-site to do the physical work.

Below option would be my last choiceIf you remain as you are, you should be able to configure an acceptable, functional ESX setup, however you will probably have to either abandon NIC teaming, or have each NIC assigned to multiple functions.

About esx i know a bit about it, only issue was hp blade.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

To get 6 NICs, you would need to get the following;

1. For each of your Server Blades, get a NC325m (416585-B21) 4-Port Ethernet Mezzanine card (so you need 3). ~$400-$500 each.
2. Purchase 2 additional Ethernet Pass-thru's similar to those you currently have. ~$700-$1000 each (refurbs)

So total cost ~$3500 (+/- $1000)

To reconfigure.

1. You need "hands" on site.
2. Shutdown your blades and power-off.
Pull the blades from the chassis.
3. Remove Ethernet passthru's from bays 3 & 4.
4. Move FC Passthru's to bays 3 & 4.
5. Reinstall the Ethernet Passthrus in Bays 5 & 6.
6. Add new passthru's in bays 7 & 8.

So now your interconnect bays look like:
Bay 1:Ethernet Passthru -- Bay 2:Ethernet Passthru
Bay 3:Fibre Chn Passthru -- Bay 4:Fibre Chn Passthru
Bay 5:Ethernet Passthru -- Bay 6:Ethernet Passthru
Bay 7:Ethernet Passthru -- Bay 8:Ethernet Passthru

Log in to the OA and confirm that this is what the OA sees. (Check under Interconnect Bays)

Now, In Each Server:

7. Remove Dual port Ethernet Card from Mezzanine slot 1.
8. Remove HBA from Mezzanine slot 2.
9. Reinstall HBA on Mezzanine Slot 1.
10. Install new Quad port Ethernet card on Mezzanine slot 2.

OK, In slow time, reinsert the blades, one at a time. As they power up, check that The OA sees them correctly. In the OA, select the Server (in Device Bays), and check the Information Tab. Scroll down and you should see the information on the Mezzanine cards.

When your three servers have been reinserted, and all looks OK, then reboot them.

Remember that You may have to make changes on the Servers themselves (I am not a Windoz, or ESX, or VMWare guy), and also, the MAC addresses on most of your network interfaces have changed so you might have some ARP cache issues, (I am not a network guy either), so I always find it useful to have a Network guy on hand.

So Good Luck.

Dave

Again, If you decide to do this, be sure that the "hands" you have on site, are Smart Hands, and be sure to allow your self ample time to perform the work and troubleshoot any issues.

Anyway.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I will recommend that you read the technology brief, that will insight in the C-class:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00816246/c00816246.pdf

I totally agree with Dave, that you should go for the Virtual Connect flex 10, maybe not for now, but for sure in the future:
Read the Virtual Connect for dummies, its a good book, and for free:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/blades/virtualconnect/connectfordummies/regForm.html

Br
/jag

Accept or Kudo