BladeSystem - General
1753665 Members
5520 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP BL460c allowable memory configurations

Karen Timon

HP BL460c allowable memory configurations

We have a BL460c server configured with 8gb of memory. The configuration for that is 8 X 1gb modules. I need to upgrade to at least 12gb. Would it be possible to take 4 of 1gb FBDIMMs modules and put them in Bank's A and B, then put 4 X 2gb modules in Bank's C and D?

Any advice would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

Karen-
That is possible, but best practice for memory installation is to always have the denser memory in the lower level slots. The optimal installation would be:
Bank A = 2GB Dimms (4GB Total)
Bank B = 2GB Dimms (4GB Total)
Bank C = 1GB Dimms (2GB Total)
Bank D = 1GB Dimms (2GB Total)
Karen Timon

Thanks so much for your response. My main concern was if 12gb was an acceptable configuration or if I had to go to 16gb. Pretty basic I guess. I was thinking I should put the less dense memory in the lower banks simply because the quick specs for the server model shows a couple of 'examples' like that: Ex. 1, 2 X 512mb in Bank A and 6 X 8gb in Bank B, C and D. Ex 2, 2 X 1gb in Bank A and 6 X 8gb in Bank B, C and D. It did seem logical to me that the more dense should go first.

Karen
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You don't mention what generation? G6 servers have very specific rules. Visit the memory configurator for G6 at http://www.hp.com/go/ddr3memory-configurator
Karen Timon

It is G1, 5160
Dan Robinson_4
Regular Advisor

With G1/G5 as long as the modules are installed in matching PAIRS, then you can mix and match sizes in the different banks almost as much as you like.

As per above though, biggest to smallest is recommended.

And this doesn't change much with the G6, its just that instead of Pairs you install/match in sets of 3s (and if you have dual proc in sets of 6s is really recommended.) You don't have to install all 3/6 modules for that bank, but you just can't mix and match within a bank is the main limitation.