1752278 Members
5060 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP BL460c failing to restart correctly

Graeme Bury

HP BL460c failing to restart correctly

Hi,
I have a few BL460c servers which fail to reboot when restarted from Windows and vmware ESX.
The blade will shut down correctly, however the UID light starts to blink and i need to physically pull the blade from the enclosure & push it back in to get the machine to reboot.

This has happened to several of the blades with a mix of windows2003 and esx3.5

the enclosure is running firmware 2.25 and hardware version b1

anyone have advice?
thanks
5 REPLIES 5
John Amper
Advisor

I had a similar problem that becoming very disturbing because we have thousand of this BL460c now being deployed.

The "RED" light turns on.

"the UID light starts to blink and i need to physically pull the blade from the enclosure & push it back in to get the machine to reboot."

Even reseat all components and still coming back.
Last week-end I decided to upgrade the firmware to latest to 8.30, on one particular server (SLES10) that needs to be rebooted every Saturday. I'm keeping an eye on this...

Wish me luck.
John Amper
THAKUR
Frequent Advisor

Upgrade the enclosure firmware version.
I think it is 2.31 and Please observe the behavior.

Thanks & Regards,
AKT
Gregg Choma

We are seeing this occur a lot in our data centers and it just didn't impact blades it impacted standalone Proliant servers.

Upgrade the iLO-2 management processor to 1.70 and be sure to up your OA to 2.32 (although 2.25 has been ok also).

For every time I have seen this issue 2 things I noticed that help me determine this was the problem was a "red" fault indicator light and the integrated console only shows a grey screen and never POST.

From my own experience I have found that a reseat was needed for BL460's when it was running 1.61. If the blade was on 1.50 you usually could do a couple of cold boots to get it back up remotely.

So far on the 1.70 firmware which was specifically suppose to fix this problem I have not seen the problem anymore.

Hi,

Is there a relationship
with this post
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1234866569514+28353475&threadId=1160700

?

or

with a problem with the Qlogic driver (HBAs part) ?

Br
Keynes Lee
Regular Advisor

Hi Graeme

Would you please let me know, how did you resolve this issue ?