1 x C7000 Enclosure
12 x BL460c G6 Blades
Active + Standby OA Modules
2 x VC Enet Modules
2 x VC FC Modules
OA Firmware at 2.60
VC Firmware at 2.12

Blades are running either ESX or XEN

Problem is everytime we do a shutdown of the servers, they will shutdown, then reboot automatically after 20-30 sec.

Even by going to ILO or Virtual Devices and performing a Press and Hold, the same thing will happen.

one solution we got was doing Press and Hold once, wait for blade to turn on again by itself, do Press and Hold again. usually this works at 2nd or 3rd try.

But it gets annoying and time consuming to have to turn off a blade like this, this applies to all the blades in the enclosure.

We are having to turn the blades on and off a lot because it's still at the implementation stage.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

5 REPLIES 5
The Brit
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP Blades Not Turning Off

I dont know if this will help, but check the "Device Power Sequence" under the "Enclosure Settings" tab on the OA. Check out the help page (Top Right). This might resolve your issue.

HTH

Dave.
Lash J
Advisor

Thanks for the reply Dave, it's true I forgot to check this part out, I will give it a try when I get back to the Blades tomorrow.

But normally, IF I remember well, the Device Power Sequence applies only to when a blade is placed into the enclosure, right?

Anyway, will assign you the points according to tomorrow's findings.

Cheers.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

hi Abdool,

You may also want to check firmware revisions for the system ROM, iLO, and Power Management Controller.

good luck
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Bloody annoying isnt it! Especially when trying to deploy profiles.

I turned off Wake on Lan in the BIOS and that stopped it.
Lash J
Advisor

Weirdly enough, the solution proposed by Dave actually worked.

In Device Power Sequence, I've set the blades to "No Poweron" option.

And now once the blades are set to "Press and Hold" to turn off, they remain off.

Tested it on 2 out of the 12 blades, and they remain off.

Will need to see if it works on the remaining blades, but I'm guessing it should.

Will revert back to this thread if it doesn't

Thanks everyone for helping