BladeSystem - General
1751907 Members
5049 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Firmware Maintenance CD 8.20 "Discovery Failed"

Vivek Patel_1

HP Firmware Maintenance CD 8.20 "Discovery Failed"

I've been trying to run the HP Firmware Maintenance CD 8.20 on a 685c blade and it keeps throwing out the "Discovery Failed" Error.

I am booting from the CD directly and trying to run the update. There are no external devices plugged in to the blade.

Any thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Firmware Maintenance CD 8.20 "Discovery Failed"

Vivek,
Can you verify you have a valid serial number on the 685c server? Also, can you describe your hardware configuration (ie drives, memory, PCI devices, etc)?

Thanks,
Michael
Vivek Patel_1

I just tested this on another 685c G1, same error. So far the CD has worked on 1 blade out of the 3. All 3 blades are identical. They all have a valid Serial number showing up in the BIOS.

Specs:

4 X dual core AMD Opetron cpus. 2.6Ghz
48GB RAM
2 X 72 GB disks
HP Smart Array E200i
1 X Emulex LPe1105-HP dual HBA card
Additional quad port nic (total 8 nic ports)
ILO 2
James Wood_15
Advisor

I am running into a similar issue with a BL460c G1, and I am using the Firmware Maintenance CD 8.3. I have updated 5 previous servers with no issue.
Vivek Patel_1

We got this issue resolved.

Update the ilo version to the 1.60 or higher manually and then run the CD. It should work.

It's weird that the CD that is suppossed to update all the firmware on the server, including ILO, requires you to update ILO manually first and then run the CD, but it is the way it is.
James Wood_15
Advisor

We just solved this too. It turns out the blade had a bogus S/N in the BIOS.

It was supposed to have 0, but it had a ^ instead. Changed the ^ to a 0 and I was able to use the firmware CD.