108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP GbE2c Ethernet Blade Switch - Firmware Update

SOLVED
Go to solution
swaize
Frequent Advisor

HP GbE2c Ethernet Blade Switch - Firmware Update

I'm working with these switches for first time (I normally just handle procurve hardware). Basically having trouble upgrading the firmware:

The current software Rev is 1.0.0, stored on FLASH image1. Have extracted 5.3.1.bin from installer downloaded from here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1845926&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=1845925&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=181

Basically, it won't allow be to TFTP the bin file to either image 1 or 2. But has allowed me to do so to the boot image, although this appears to make no difference.

I'm a little confused as to the difference between firmware stored in the boot image slot (now 5.3.1), and the firmware that that can be stored in image1, image2 slots. Are they separate entities? Do I need another type of bin file in order to update the software revision from 1.0.0? I though maybe it was because the jump in versions is too high, although I can only find version 5.3.1.

Any help much appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Re: HP GbE2c Ethernet Blade Switch - Firmware Update

Hi,

you cant jump straight to 5.1.3.

you need to do staged upgrades.

There is a note on the revision history in the firmware download page, telling you which versions you can skip, and what order you need to do it in.

for example I had to apply 2.0.5 before I could then go straight to 5.13.

how are you trying to do the upgrage. I used a laptop with a serial connection straight into the back of the switch. Theres a key sequence you need to hold down as the switch boots( I think it was 'D'), and it will put the switch into download mode and you can use Xmodem in hyperterminal to send the new file to the switch.

You need to change the baud rate too and from 9600 to 115200 whilst doing it.

if that helps please assign points

regards

Matt
swaize
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Matt.

I suspected this might be the case. I don't suppose you know here I can find said firmware?

As I said I could only find v5.3.1 which I extracted from this download:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1845926&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=1845925&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

Thanks again for the clarification.
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi,

If you click on the revision history tab for the firmware it will show all of its predecessors, and the links to download them.

regards

Matt
swaize
Frequent Advisor

That easy, hey!
Feeling somewhat foolish now.
Thanks again.
swaize
Frequent Advisor

Solution given.