New Discussion юеВ

HP rx2800 i2 Office Friendly Server

vat
Advisor

HP rx2800 i2 Office Friendly Server

Dear All,

I don't know much about hardware.

We are using SAP, Oracle 10g on HP-UX.

Presently we have 2 nos. of BL860 servers in HA environment. Each has 16GB of RAM.

Now we are planning for Disaster Recovery solution for our production setup. i.e oracle standby database.

for that we required server equivalent to our production server i.e. BL860. We do not required blade server for that.

Someone has suggested "HP rx2800 i2 Office Friendly Server" with 16GB RAM and sufficient disks as per our DB size and growth.

Is this server is OK ?

Because in case of production failure, our production server will be new one for maximum 10-15 days.

Thanks in advance,

Nirav
4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP rx2800 i2 Office Friendly Server

Office Friendly Server means not so noisy compared to the "normal" version, because of a single power supply and other fans.

If you don't want to run it on your desk, you should take the "normal" server because of redundancy.

The rx2800 has 2 CPU slots for quad core CPUs - should be enough to be a "spare" for a BL860c blade ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
vat
Advisor

Dear Torsten,

Thanks for your quick responce.

You are right power supply redundancy is important.

Which other model is good for server equivelant to BL860 or higher upto some extent.

Thanks,

Nirav
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Thisis the only non-blade server with quad core CPUs, but maybe you can still buy the dual-core models, e.g. rx2660 and rx3600.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
rick jones
Honored Contributor

If you are looking to have the system stand-in for a BL860c, an rx2800 i2 rack-mount should be quite capable. In very broad handwaving terms, an rx2800 is the rack-mount cousin of the BL860c i2. The rack-mount cousin of the older BL860c was the rx2660.

Now, keep in mind that the minimum supported version of HP-UX for the rx2800 i2 is somewhat later than the minimum supported version on the BL860c (but, IIRC the same as for the BL860c i2 - do make sure you keep your i2s straight :)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows