5204 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ILO 2 Problem in BL 460C G1

shashwath
Occasional Contributor

ILO 2 Problem in BL 460C G1

Hi this is Shashwath

There is C7000 enclosure and 9 BL460C G1 Blade servers. We have assigned the ILO IP address for all the servers, but when we power off the enclosure and servers some of the servers ILO IP address goes to DHCP mode automatically. Due to this we are not able to take controll of this server from OA. We need to connect the consol cable and Disable the DHCP and Retype the static IP address in the ILO bios.

This is happening each and every time when we power off the blades. We have updated the latest firmware of ILO and OA.
how to resolve this issue???
9 REPLIES 9
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Try Assigning the IP from "Enclosure Bay IP Addressing" page in OA.
It should work fine if you have OA FW 2.10 and iLO 1.43.

Regards,
Raghuarch
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor
shashwath
Occasional Contributor

Hi Raghu,

i did it but still its having same issue...

i have downloaded latest firmware iso image from HP web site and updated it.

I have checked the IP address and it is not assigned anywhere.

If only i shutdown the server and remove the power source and power it up it is happening like this and once the server is up and i do the momentry press server restarts and gets back its static ip address which i have assigned.
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Hi Shashwath,
Correct me if i am wrong?

You mean first time when you power up you are not able to see the Static ILO IP.
But if you restart Server you are able to See the IP.

Can you access the ILO with the static IP once it is assigned?
rick jones
Honored Contributor

So, if I understand correctly, if you configure a static IP for the iLO, and remove power from the blade entirely (either by removing it from the chassis or removing power from the entire chassis) the iLO on some of your BL460c G1's forgets the static IP assignment, and when it powers-back-on, it reverts to getting an IP address via DHCP.

Is that basically correct?

I cannot say that I'm familiar with the internals of the BL460c and its iLO, but that sounds like either a bad nvram, or a bad backup battery.

WRT needing a static IP to access the iLO fro m the OA, that seems odd - I have access to a pair of BL460c's and they get their IP's via DHCP and I am able to access the iLO's from the OA just fine. Or is it the case there is no DHCP server on your network(s) and so they never actually get an IP via DHCP when this happens?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
shashwath
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rick,

you are right, i am facing the same issue,

I have cleared the NV RAM also but still the same issue.

shashwath
Occasional Contributor

I have also removed the blade from the network for testing,but still the same issue.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

When I said bad nvram I meant as in failed HW. If there isn't a battery somewhere on the motherboard you can try to replace on your own, you _may_ need to excercise either your HW support contract, or the warrantee and arrange for some repairs/replacements.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
fushigi
Advisor

Hi all,

I would like to retrieve this thread as we have encountered the same issue, 9 out of 16 blades(BL460c G1) in the same enclosure experienced static IP were gone(F8,checked iLO info it became DHCP=ON, all configurations were gone).

All blades iLO & BIOS are up-to-date so w/ the OA fw 2.25.

What we did is manually inputting the iLO IP's and now its working fine.

Any inputs or explanantion for this issue is much appreciated.

Thanks,
norman